Rainwater drainage into vines

RicandJo

Hi there,

Just a small query - we have what appears to be a drainage channel at the rear of the houase, which channels rainwater from our back courtyard out through the rear boundary wall into the vines.  The 'hole' was partially blocked up, but during last week's deluge we cleared it to allow the water out.  Our (very old) neighbour (who doesn't even live in the property next door) has blocked it up with sand and cement, complaining he doesn't want our water making his house damp. He doesn't own the vines.

Does he have a right to block up our drainage, which has clearly been there for a looooong time?

We're going for a word with the Mairie in the morning but I just wondered if any of you lot have any insight into where we might stand??

Ric

I expect your "old neighbour" is in a care home and waiting to pass away and hes/shes  relatives have blocked the hole to protect the house from flooding so when old neighbour pass away and relatives inherit the house then it will be easier to sell, theres a house like that in my hamlet

[quote user="RicandJo"]

Hi there,

Just a small query - we have what appears to be a drainage channel at the rear of the houase, which channels rainwater from our back courtyard out through the rear boundary wall into the vines.  The 'hole' was partially blocked up, but during last week's deluge we cleared it to allow the water out.  Our (very old) neighbour (who doesn't even live in the property next door) has blocked it up with sand and cement, complaining he doesn't want our water making his house damp. He doesn't own the vines.

Does he have a right to block up our drainage, which has clearly been there for a looooong time?

We're going for a word with the Mairie in the morning but I just wondered if any of you lot have any insight into where we might stand??

Ric

[/quote]

French law says that a lower property has to accept as a "servitude" the NATURAL runoff of rain water; however, if due to work done on the upper property, that runoff is increased or redirected, the owner of the lower property can go to court to seek compensation. A lot will depend on the history of this drainage channel, if you can discover it. If you can divert it away from the neighbouring house, it might be the easiest solution.

Thanks guys,

I'm sure it'll be ok in the end - it just annoys me this drain doesn't even go into the neighbours property it goes out to the field behind it, which they don't even own.

We are actually reducing the amount of water that will go that way, used to be all the water from the gutters front and back and the run off from the side and back facades all went round the back.  Since we will be recovering the water from the gutters and the side facade will go out the front all that's left is the runn off from the rear facade which won't be much!

Cheers,

Ric