Is this a saying and what is the application?

JohnRoss

Could it be a play on words?  The journal often touches on a sore spot...

Don't forget that 'canard' in French is like 'rag' in English ..a derogatory word for a newspaper.

so

'Where ever the canard (the newspaper) puts its foot (pokes its nose in) it hurts (it touches on a sore spot)

I suppose that if you chained up a duck it might well kick you. I note that Duck could also mean a rumour or a false rumour. This was the article in which it appeared. http://www.popeater.fr/article/Claire-Chazal-Lun-de-ses-reportages/165855  ...JR

PS Sorry Cat did not see your response as I posted. Cannot quite understand who is being accused of what and where does the crane operator come into this? Do they refer to this? http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=456927&page=3

The report is supposed to be showing the perilous work of a crane operator but they think that it is more a bit of a show off for Bouyges Telecom who jusy happen to own 43% of TF1

The crane operator's working day just being the vehicle for them to get their message(s) across following the adverse reports regarding Jean Sarkozy's appointment.

So the Canard Enchainé always knows where to stir things up.

It puts its finger on the sore spot... as I said above.

In this case the apparently innocent report was on a site building a skyscraper at La Défense, where Jean Sarlozy (the President's son ) has been 'elected' in charge at only 23 years old, creating a storm of controversy.

At the same time the building is for Bouyges Telecom, and Bouyges is a great supporter of Sarkozy. The link between the two is seen as a reason for the banning of advertising in the evening on the France Télévisions channels, and also a factor in Sarlozy's push for HADOPI

In other words the journal knows where the sensitive spots are.

Well thanks for the explanations folks, it is much clearer now. So with reference to my original question it would seem that this is not an old French saying then, merely a contrived play on words peculiar to this report, in other words sh** stirring..................JR