loaf

Pads

I want to say chocolate and banana loaf which is a cake but is called loaf, if I say:

Pain au chocolat et banane, would a french person understand that its a cake ? or should I call it Chocolat et banane gâteau?

Is there another word for loaf to cover other things than bread ?

Many thanks  

[quote user="Pads"]would cake come in front or after the discription: cake chocolat et banane or the other way ?[/quote]

You could say "cake au chocolat et aux  bananes", "cake au chocolat et à la banane" (both correct from a language angle) or "cake chocolat-banane" (in a headline fashion)

see here for an example: http://www.supertoinette.com/recettes/gateau_chocolat_bananes_to_de.htm

[quote user="Pads"]Plain flour is this: farine sans levure,? or sans chimique

also: 3eggs (beaten) would I say 3 oœf ( battu) [/quote]

Farine by itself is fine. If you needed a specific flour (wholemeal, rye) you would specify it.

3 œufs (battus)

• 1 year later...

But, it's the different kinds of loaves that fascinates me:   une ficelle, une bagette, un pain, un pain cinq cents, un pain de 3 livres, une couronne, une boule, une tourte, en épis....

I mean, in how many ways can you say "a loaf of bread"!  Still, I am told that Eskimos have at least 22 words for differnt kinds of snow.

With the French, the obsession is obviouly BREAD.........

Our boulangerie sells 13 types of bread, all sadly too expensive for me now so I have to make do with 250g baguette at 29cts from Simply Market.

Mind you I do miss (not!) the long queues while people have a long chat whilst searching for their cheque book especially on a Sunday morning only to get to the counter bowing under the weight of bread only to be told that we dont have any [:(]

Clair, how do you get the O and the E in oeuf to stick together? Another thing I cannot master on my azerty keyboard.

[quote user="Chancer"]Clair, how do you get the O and the E in oeuf to stick together? Another thing I cannot master on my azerty keyboard.[/quote]

Hold the Alt key down while you type 0156 on the numeric keypad (not the numbers on the main keyboard): œ

[:)]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Chancer"]Clair, how do you get the O and the E in oeuf to stick together? Another thing I cannot master on my azerty keyboard.[/quote]

Hold the Alt key down while you type 0156 on the numeric keypad: œ

[:)]

[/quote]

What even on a French AZERTY keyboard? Surely not!

Even my neighbouring brasserie has managed to print œuf (thank you Clair it works!) on their sandwich menu and they are illiterate both on and off the computer.

[quote user="Clair"]

Hold the Alt key down while you type 0156 on the numeric keypad: œ

[/quote]

The talent of this Clair woman knows no bounds: as I have now discovered that I can even make my laptop do it using the (very) hidden numeric keypad.

œ œ œ

Y66h66 [8-)] or Yoohoo even - when you remember to switch the num keypad back off.

Sue [:)]

• 1 month later...
I dont have a number pad on my keyboard ...0nly the numbers across the top, alt and 0156 dosent work on them is there another way to do it on this type of keyboard ? as the oe is not on my lexibar , although these are « » ( what are they used for ?) and copy and pasting is a pain some times ... Many thanks

[quote user="Pads"]I dont have a number pad on my keyboard ...0nly the numbers across the top, alt and 0156 dosent work on them is there another way to do it on this type of keyboard ? as the oe is not on my lexibar , although these are « » ( what are they used for ?) and copy and pasting is a pain some times ... Many thanks[/quote]

Pads, this is the most ingenious (or groan-making) way of getting back on topic that I have come across!

I think passing that French test has gone to your head...

This is what I use, Pads:  www.avisoft.co.uk

See here: œœœœ.  Go on, you can do it too![:D]

Pads, the numeric code only works with a separate number pad.

Assuming you are using Windows Vista:

go to start (Windows logo, bottom left-hand)

in the search field, type character (caracteres, if using French Vista)

right-click on the program and click on "Add to taskbar".

From now on, when you need a special character, go to the program from the taskbar and choose your character, copy and insert it in your text.