I was just thinking ..... Now theres a joke

Pads

I want to write We are both well Thankyou , I hope you are well also....

Nous sommes tous les deux bien le Remerciement, j'espère que vous êtes bien aussi ?

Now should that be tous or or toutes .... and why please both are plural arnt they  ?

Also I have just confused my self with the verb to visit , is it a different verb if you are saying I would like to viist you or if you want to say I would like to vist the church, do people /places make a difference

I want to use tu ... so Is.....  Je voudrais Tu visiter à Paris + I would like to visit you in Paris ... Correct ?

Many thanks

I would say   " Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère qu'il en est de même pour vous ".

or    " Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère que vous aussi ".           

To visit someone = Rendre visite à quelqu'un ... 

To visit a monument = visiter un monument.

So " Je voudrais te rendre visite à Paris " [;-)]

Hope this helps .

Thanks Frenchie yours does sound better ...

but if I had been using mine would it of been tous or toutes ?

Here is the full exercise I was working on ...replying to a letter from a friend ( none of it true including my email) and anserwing questions that she asked ....

This is my reply how does it look

Chére Katy

Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère qu'il en est de même pour tu.

Je ne travaille pas à l’hôpital maintenant, J’ai un nouveau travail comme un secrétaire dans la bibliothèque.

Je voudrais te rendre visit à Paris. Es tu libre en août ?

J’ai conge de deux semaines au début d’août.

J’ai acheté un appartement dans le centre ville, Ily a deux semaines, Son près du bar et le cinema et je peux marcher pour travailler .

Jacques est bien, Je le vois souvent dans notre classe française dans l’université. Pierre part en vacances à Cannes dans deux semaines.

J’ai maintenant une adresse électronique c’est xxxxxxxxxx Peux tu m’envoyer votre adresse électronique ?

Amitiés

Pamela xx   

Many thanks Pads

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I would say   " Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère qu'il en est de même pour vous ".  .....  

To visit someone = Rendre visite à quelqu'un ... 
To visit a monument = visiter un monument.

[/quote]

So, Pads, as you can see from what Frenchie says, in French you don't say "How ARE you?", "I AM well" etc, but you use the verb ALLER (to go).
So it's "Comment ALLEZ-vous?"  "Je VAIS bien", "Nous ALLONS bien", "Jacques VA bien" etc.

And that wretched "visit" is hard to get right, but try and think of the French verb "visiter" as "to look round" rather than "to visit", and that might help. 
i.e. in French you would "visiter" a chateau or a church, but you would not think of saying you would "look round" a person...  [;-)]   As Frenchie says, you have to "pay them a visit" ("leur rendre visite").

Angela

Thanks both of you ...Im so cross at my self because I did know about using the verb Aller but forgot ...it seems the more I learn in one end I lose out the other end of my brain.... its scarey....... !! But the visit thing is new on me so some else learnt today ......now what is my name ( big smile smiley);)

[quote user="Pads"] 

Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère qu'il en est de même pour tu.

[/quote]

I don't know why I am replying to this [:)] my spoken french is rubbish and as for written .......

But,  should your line finish with toi?

I read all your help posts and admire your hard work trying to get to grips with the French language, I wish I could be so dedicated!! I get quite a lot of ribbing at work when I have to write things down, fortunately those times are rare phew!

I had to do a course for driving a large tractor/loader had a bit of a panic when I discovered that the exam at the end contained questions that I had to write a reply and not all multiple guess   but I managed and did pass. Felt a bit smug really as two of my colleagues failed

Keep it up

Tim

[quote user="Pads"]

Thanks Frenchie yours does sound better ...

but if I had been using mine would it of been tous or toutes ? I would use tous .

Here is the full exercise I was working on ...replying to a letter from a friend ( none of it true including my email) and anserwing questions that she asked ....

This is my reply how does it look

Chére Katy    (Chère )

Nous allons bien, merci, j'espère qu'il en est de même pour tu.  ( toi )

Je ne travaille pas à l’hôpital maintenant, J’ai un nouveau travail comme un secrétaire dans la bibliothèque. ( Je ne travaille plus à la bibliothèque, j'ai un nouveau travail en tant que secrètaire à la bibliothèque .)

Je voudrais te rendre visite à Paris. Es tu libre en août ?

J’ai conge de deux semaines au début d’août. ( J'ai deux semaines de congés début août .)

J’ai acheté un appartement dans le centre ville, Ily a deux semaines, Son près du bar et le cinema et je peux marcher pour travailler . ( il est près du bar et du cinéma, et je peux aller travailler à pied.)

Jacques est (va)   bien, Je le vois souvent dans notre classe de française dans( à ) l’université. Pierre part en vacances à Cannes dans deux semaines.

J’ai maintenant une adresse électronique c’est xxxxxxxxxx Peux tu m’envoyer votre adresse électronique ?

Amitiés

Pamela xx   

Many thanks Pads

[/quote]

Don't worry, your letter was perfectly understandable, just a few things here and there ...   [kiss]