Obtaining a Death Certificate

Suninfrance

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

My godmum in England had a friend who was to marry a man many years ago, but the marriage never took place, although the couple stayed friends.  The chap moved to France and stayed in contact with the lady, but then she suddenly got a letter from an undertaker saying that he had died.  It all seemed quite sudden and my godmum's friend would like a copy of the death certificate to know how he died.  She was obviously still in love with this guy even though they had just remained friends and needs to know "how" as some sort of closure I guess.

I am still waiting for more details about the date and time of death and region it took place, but how would I go about obtaining the death certificate for her.  Any ideas?

Jan

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]This may help, sorry the link is not real - I use Firefox and the forum doesn't like it

http://france.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/rennes-documents.pdf

[/quote]

I use FireFox as well without any problems with links, paste the link into your post, then highlight it, then click on create link, paste the link where it says "enter a URL" that's it.

French death certificates have no cause of death on them.  The mairie of the place of death may be able to furnish a little more information, but the death certificate states only the name and date, time and place of death so she is unlikely to obtain further information from that.

[quote user="gosub"][quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]This may help, sorry the link is not real - I use Firefox and the forum doesn't like it

http://france.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/rennes-documents.pdf

[/quote]

I use FireFox as well without any problems with links, paste the link into your post, then highlight it, then click on create link, paste the link where it says "enter a URL" that's it.

[/quote]

Bizarre, but its works - thanks for that [:D]