Lost in translation

Angie

I completed the document for the TV licence, ticked the box and signed it. Scanned it back as I always do but have received the following email reply. I didn't write anything in French so not sure what is meant by this! Can anyone shed any light as I must be missing something here.

"Bonjour,

Merci d'avoir rempli le document.

Cependant, votre message ne peut être lu sans être rédigé en langue française."

Google translate is your friend

Are you sure the reply was not

Cependant, votre message ne peut pas être lu sans être rédigé en langue française."

if so it translates as

Thank you for completing the document.

However, your message can not be read without being written in French.

When you say "scanned it back" do you mean sent it to them by E-mail?

If so even if you didnt write anything in English on the form or the E-mail sometimes the system adds a header like this:

The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Stelia Aerospace immediately and delete this e-mail.
Stelia Aerospace cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this e-mail as it has been sent over public networks.
If you have any concerns over the content of this message or its Accuracy or Integrity, please contact Stelia Aerospace immediately.
All outgoing e-mails from Stelia Aerospace are checked using regularly updated virus scanning software but you should take whatever measures you deem to be appropriate to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free.

Which may be what they are flummoxed by, now what really makes me laugh is that most of these long diatribes are attached to E_mail messages in French, from French companies that dont speak or do business in English like the above, go figure [8-)]

The dropping of the "pas" from a negation is a common trait.

There are certain verbs from which the "pas" can be dropped; "pouvoir" is one of them. Can't remember the others...

EDIT

ah, explanation here:

http://www.bertrandboutin.ca/Folder_151_Grammaire/O_a_la_negation.htm#_adverbe_ne_employ%E9_seul

And click on "adverbe "ne" employé seul"

Angela

I am assuming it can only be the footer they are querying as I just ticked a box on the form, signed it and scanned it back by email. There wasn't even a message and in any case, if I do put a message on there I always do it in my broken French! Oh well, at least they've acknowledged receipt of the form which is all that is required!! Thanks all for your knowledge!