Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

mint

Eric, thank you and what a pleasure it is to "see" you here again![:D]

I don't have even a single step to the front door so no perron but outside our petit salon downstairs, there are a couple of steps to garden level so that will be my perron the very next time a French person come to visit us![:D]

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, we do have another perron!  The stone staircase leads from the upper level of our house to the lower garden and has 14 steps as well as a quarter turn so it is a pretty perron and, if/when we have to sell the house, I shall describe this as un très joli perron avec ses pots de fleurs![:D]

Thank you again for the French lessons you provide with such authority and clarity!

• 2 months later...
So, how do you say au cas où?

Now I am generally quite good at making les petites liaisons when it is elegant or obligatoire to do so.  With this phrase, all my friends and neighbours say au cas où and that is therefore what I say and I am easily understood.

However, I met a man today who said au ca zoù.  I asked him whether that was the way it should be said.  He told me it depended on which part of France you are from as to how you say it.  And here in the south-west, I prompted him?

He laughed and said that in the south-west, we pay little attention to things like that and not to accent either.  Yes, yes, I can hear many of you saying, it doesn't bloody matter.  But I am a student of the language and these types of little details hold endless fascination for me.

Tell me, then, what do YOU say or, more importantly, what do your friends and associates say?

Ericd, what do YOU say?[:)]

Since reading your replies, Wooly and Norman, I did a bit of googling and the following is quite illuminating:

[url]https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/au-cas-o%C3%B9-le-cas-%C3%A9ch%C3%A9ant-liaison.552314/[/url]

What I think the most elegant way to do it is to say au cas où if you are beginning a sentence with it (followed by a phrase) or to say au ca zou if you are ending a sentence.  And, indeed, the man I spoke to used it at the end of his sentence, if I remember correctly.

Makes a change for me to speak to a well-spoken man instead of exchanging friendly banter with friends and neighbours.

Wools, I found that book but I think it might be a bit too "difficult" for me.  I do have a box of cards which is in the form of a game with French expressions which a French friend gave me a couple of years ago.  If only I could find where I have put it for safe-keeping.................[:$]

• 2 weeks later...
OK, tried out au ca zou yesterday and it was understood and not corrected!

Must be the way I look slightly puzzled when I speak French because people often correct me, whether it's the wrong word or the word is mispronounced.

The person was a highly trained surgeon who had last worked in Lyon so, ericd, she'd have had lots of education though I don't really know which region she is from ...ha, ha!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've fallen in love with a brand new word this week[:D]

Here it is:

Elle plaça les assiettes, les couverts, les verres et tout le TINTOUIN sur une table ronde, et servi.

Just so expressive and you can guess at what else might have been put down!