Favourite albums , books and films!

Amelie

Sorry if I keep posting stuff...it's addictive! Anyway, I had my birthday on Sunday(only mentioned it a hundred times so far) and got 'Three Colours:White' starring Julie Delphy on DVD And 'Arabesque' by Jane Birkin on CD and 'Almost French' (book about moving to Paris)by Sarah Turnbull and just wondered what other forum members favourite books, films and cds are?(French ones preferably!)

• 1 month later...
Gounaud's Symphonies 1 & 2
Colette's Pour un herbier
Le Boucher

Film - Un Homme et Une Femme - with Anouk Aim and Jean-Louis Trintignant. Wonderful music. The best film ever after Casablanca.

I agree about Le Grand Meaulnes but should be read by under 21s. I haven't enjoyed it nearly so much since I got to be 'grown up'.

Read the early Claudine books from Collette. The atmosphere of the french school room at the turn of the the 19th/20th century is great.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Amelie
Being quite new to the forum I am just trolling thru the things that interest me but this really is one - films and music
Jean de Florette and Manon des sources has got to be two of the best films in any language....I think
I love The Horseman on the Roof and of course "Amelie"
I dont know if any of you are into the Breton music but Carlos Nunez Un galacian en Bretagne is great.

Gary

Find it very difficult to say what my favourite would be as I flip between so many different things.

Watched 'Bowling for Columbine' by Michael Moore on French TV last night and for the moment that comes top of my list.
Not French I know, but I would find it difficult to stick to just
all things francais.

Don't have a favourite book as I read French novels in English years ago just because they were a good read and not because they were French.

Saw an exhibition of Chardin at The Royal Academy some years back and loved his paintings of domestic scenes, particularly the one named 'Saying Grace'. But again didn't go to the exhibition because it was a French artist but because he is a master of world reknown.

I have such difficulty staying in French mode, and I'm not trying to denigrate your liking for all things French, just have a different perspective on the culture, that's all. For instance I love Vermeer as much as Chardin, possibly even more so, and I adore Goya and I so much want to see the Picassos in Madrid.

You see what I'm getting at, about flipping around I mean.
If you really insisted though, about having a favourite, I would have to declare that it isn't a film or a book or even a CD but the spectacular Autumn countryside around here us at the moment in the Charente. Even the vines, bare of all leaves, have a wonderful sculptural quality to them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Albums : 'La Maison' by Gabin, anything by 'Costes' and 'Gotan Project', if your into a French and Latin American sound mixed together.
Books : Guy De Maupassant, the true inventor of the short story.
Films : Les 400 coups by Truffaut but also try Luis Bunuel.
Cheers L.