French products

SaligoBay

Having made my way through a 5kg bag of Camargue rice (not all in one go, of course), I can confidently state that it has no super-special properties. It's pleasant enough. It's rice.

Now what about Savon de Marseille? Does that have any special properties? It features in many cleaning products, from perfumed soaps to floor-cleaner and washing powder/liquid. Does it contain something that other soaps don't?

Or are they like Madeleines or beans-on-toast, their importance lies somewhere in your memories of childhood?

Looking forward to your input,

SB

I can confidently state that it has no super-special properties. It's pleasant enough. It's rice.
_____
No special properties!!! Of course it does, it's French. (or more importantly, not American )

As for savon de Marseille, we're always told it's purer, made with olive oil etc (no idea if it's true) It's suggested for washing baby clothes.
I was also told that a piece of SdM in the bed would prevent pregnancy cramp. (I went for the glass of milk before bedtime instead)

>Now what about Savon de Marseille?
> Does that have any
>special properties?

Yes, it's something that all us Francophiles buy in large quantities when really and truly we'd much prefer a bar of Yardley's eau de cologne or lavender soap! I admit I often put it in the guest bathroom (visiting friends claim they love it) despite the fact that its enormous size means it doesn't fit in any of my soap dishes!

Incidentally, a friend in the States sent me three bars of SdM for Christmas. We all know how heavy they are, can you imagine the postage???

M

I don't like washing my skin with savon de Marseille, feels too dry after wards. But I like the big blocks of it for rubbing on dirty marks and shirt collars. My friend always used to tell me that it was the french who invented soap and this was the first soap in the world. No idea as to the truth of this, and wouldn't have contradicted her even if it isn't.......LOL she wouldn't have believed me anyway really and I'd have had to put up with yet another 'pourtant c'est vrai'.

Madeleines, well, very ordinary really, OK dunked in coffee.

Lots of this is a memory of childhood thing, I've been sure of that for years. Offers comfort and as such, surely is good for us.