Right to Roam

Stevieg

I and my wife have now become the proud owners of a part of France. and was wondering whether ther is any laws regarding the 'right to roam'. Not that we intend to roam, it's just our 30acres of Ancient Forest doesn't seem to have a solid boundary, just a line on a map. My wife would not like the possability of roaming locals or anyone else for that matter stumbling across our refuge in the forest, without being invited. Would it be better to fence the forest (at vast expence) or leave it be. I understand the area has been used for hunting Wild Boar and other Game. Could we restrict this?

In order to prevent access and hunting in your forest you will have to fence it and put up sign saying 'Chasse Interdit'. If the forest or any land for that matter is not fenced and signposted the public and the hunters do have automatic right to roam. However, you will probably make yourselves very unpopular if you just go and stick up signs. My suggestion would be to talk to the president of your local Chasse and a) see how much they actually go through your forest and b) ask him not to if it really bothers you. If he says no, then your option will still be to fence it off.

Christiane

This is a tricky one! As Christiane quite rightly says you do run the undeniable risk of getting on the wrong side of people (some of whom may be your neighbors) by putting up signs or a fence. I've found that 'Chasse Interdite' is largely ignored by most hunters and you can talk till your blue in the face to the President of the local chasse, it's a way of life to them passed on through generations. We live in the middle of vine fields and olive groves and our lunches or apros were regularly interrupted by squads of camouflaged carabine carrying locals when we first arrived. The rule is that you have to be 150 metres away from an inhabited property before shooting anything that moves, but again we found this to be largely ignored, which was rather worrying when our 3 year old daughter was playing outside and we had lead shot raining down on our heads!! What we did was to get to know all of the locals/hunters, either by chatting to them at the local bar or by inviting them in for a drink when we saw them. After some Pastis and discussion, they now come and tell us what time and date they are thinking of hunting on our land and we invariably have a knock at the door on the day to ask if it's ok!! We also regularly receive very fresh wild boar etc on the doorstep. If you want to fit in, I advise diplomacy over stubborness, Hope this helps, regards, L.

You may own your bit of land, but to be part of the community you will be expected to share it in the time honoured way.

You will know you are on the road to integration when you are invited to join the hunters.

Animal Rights supporters and vegetarians had best stick to the big cities.