Jacques Derrida

SaligoBay

Sounds like he should have been a fashion designer, but no, one of the greatest philosophers of the 20th century.  He has departed this life.  

Invented "deconstruction".   You can read all about him here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,1324160,00.html

And if it means anything at all you, you must be on drugs! 

Aristotle, Aristotle was a ****** for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

SB, I'm glad you posted this for I've just come from the library where I was catching up on who he was and what he was about.  Heavens!  I thought the obituary I read (France Presse) was mind blowing enough but relatively speaking it made a lot of sense in comparison to the Guarniad's.  Part of me agreed with FP's statement that Derrida believed that even writers and artists never fully understood the true meaning of what they were representing be it in words or visually.  But I'm far too weary now at the end of a long day to say anything further.  Will review this more tomorrow...   M

Right, I've tried, lost interest very quickly!  Plato was a piece of piss compared to this.   In fact, all those 20th century philos are a bit much, verging on lunacy, and I'm not sure they really contributed much to the general understanding of the human condition, or anything else.

I don't think I need-a Derrida in my life.  I'll go back to Michael Moore before my brain deconstructs itself with the unaccustomed effort.     

I greatly enjoyed studying a little of Derrida at the French Institute, though it's not something I'd want to dip into without an excellent teacher.
Le Figaro's obituary was much clearer and more interesting but unfortunately it's no longer available on-line. He was a bon viveur who loved life, campaigned for Mandela's release and appeared in several films.
You might need mind-expanding drugs to enjoy the Guardian article but Derrida's work does the job unaided. I retained the concept that the intended meaning of a word will never be exactly the same as the reader's interpretation; perfect understanding is therefore impossible.

Welcome back, Prodigal Pucette! 

Derrida's a bit Chomskian, don't you think, in that it's all very well them pointing out problems, but maybe some solutions would be nice, innit?

I mean, of course language is only an approximation of the Platonic ideal, but it's all we've got, unless we devise some god-like telepathic means of communication that transcends meaning, no wot I mean?  

I KNOW that I don't know what I'm talking about - people tell me all the time! 

Derrida didn't stop communicating and I see no reason why we should, although a fair few academics (mostly in America, as far as I know) used his work as an excuse to be more than usually impenetrable and in some cases to stop trying to achieve anything useful, not something he approved of at all... so, we fall short of the Platonic ideal, so what? Il faut faire avec... and do the best we can while accepting that perfection is not possible - perhaps not even desirable.

"Jacques Derrida, the famous French philosopher, is "dead".  But as there is no straightforward, one-to-one relationship between the signifier ("dead") and the thing signified (the termination or otherwise of the actual person, M. Derrida), we cannot be entirely sure what has happened.  We are faced insted with an endless multiplicity of truths, a string of infinite possibilities....The "Jacques Derrida" which has "died" was, or is, merely a refraction of a refraction of reality.  So "Jacques Derrida" might indeed be "dead"."

I am quoting, the now infamous, Rod Liddle writing in this week's Spectator.  He goes on to say, "I bet it wasn't like this when a good old dependable British philosopher like Hume, or maybe Bertrand Russell, bit the dust... You know where you are with British philosophers...Our problem comes, as ever, with the French.  You think the "death" of "Derrida" is philosophically problematic? Just wait until Jacques Lacan dies."

Yes, wonderful to have Pucette back.  Did you also study Lacan?

M

Yes, but of Lacan I have retained nothing. Except a vague feeling he was a psychoanalyst by profession.

Curses! I was going to quote the Liddle article, but you beat me to it.

Liddle seems to have grown up of late. Learned a little humility.

So much of philosophy can be deconstructed with a well placed comment of "b()ll()cks, mate"

I'm currently re-reading "The Far Corner" by Harry Pearson. In it he describes an encounter between a philosophy PhD and a thug from Darlington, whilst on the train - "Perception and sensation. Reality and illusion. How for example would you prove your existance to me?"

The youth studied his can of larger for a moment. It was one of those cheap, generic brands they sell in corner shops. The ones with spurios Teutonic names (Pilsner von Pist) whose advertising slogan would be 'Beer - it gets you mortal'. After a few seconds he looked up. "Why would I bother, like?" he said.

Nice - I was expecting to read that the Darlington youth clocked him one, thereby proving his existance. This was much neater.

Stew

(big Pirsig fan)

Stew, while I know very little about philosophy, I do know about quoting sources, in an academic sense. I thought of that deconstructing thing independently, and am most disturbed to hear someone else has nicked my original thought. Still, it was fairly obvious. The rest of your post was great.

[quote]Yes, so true, or is it?????? Also, I don't know what Derridas thoughts on death were, but it's occurred to me that at the moment he's experiencing the ultimate in deconstruction. I know thats in...[/quote]

Absolutely, I tip my metaphorical hat to you.

The blackness of it reminds me of another current(ish) issue re: Christopher Reeve. Barry Beelzebub in his weekly column (do a google search, its worth it) remarked he was "surprised how long Kryptonite takes to work"

Stew