Chocolate Chip Cookies in France?

ilikea

Hi. I'm from Guam and for my International Marketing course (University of Guam) final exam I have to find a way to market chocolate chip cookies (maybe even macaroons or biscottis) in France.  I have to include my target market, forms of advertisement, packaging style, and so forth.  I have been studying France since early September of this year, but my research resources are very limited.  If anyone can please help me out or offer a website where I could possibly find more information of the above, I would GREATLY APPRECIATE it.  Thank you.

ilikea

Can't help with marketing but Lidl Tenessee chocolate chip cookes are the best I have ever eaten. Ordinary supermarket brands in France are absolute rubbish and always taste of cardboard to me,but these have very large chunks of chocolate in them and are thick.

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone please fill me in on the already existing brands of chocolate chip cookies in France, if any.  Possibly where they are being sold, and who the #1 customers are of those already existing treats.  Or what is of most preference to the French, is it cookies, biscottis, macaroons, etc.  Also, who are more likely to eat these little treats, kids, high school students, young adults, or the elder generation. 

Val's right about Lidl, and that's the first place I'd go if someone said "I want some choc chip cookies".  Lidl is a German chain at the cheaper end of the market.

I would say the main biscuit consumers would be children.  French adults (mostly!) don't snack between meals, although that's changing, I think.

Most popular biscuits in France?   I'd say French biscuits.   For example, those double-layer 'sandwich' biscuits (e.g. Prince brand), or the little round Galettes Bretonnes (?)with pur beurre.

Interesting things, biscuits, when you think about them.  HyperU now regularly sell McVities Chocolate Digestives - I just have to pretend they're an illusion, and if I reach out to get them my hand will go straight through them.  Too much Stargate.

<< Too much Stargate. >>

Hmmmm... or possibly not enough. May I also recommend Farscape to both of you. Lower hunkiness quotient unless you're into flatulent aliens (which your son may be!) but still very good.

Ilikikea (sorry, can't remember the spelling) I'm not sure that the random thoughts on chocolate chip cookies you're likely to receive from me are going to help you with real marketing data which is what you need for your project. So I'll be a bit more general.

You need to figure out what companies produce chocolate chip cookies in France - and they are probably most of the international food companies - find their web sites and see what you can interpret and perhaps contact them direct with your questions. I'll probably be in a supermarket tomorrow (Monday) so I'll have a look at a few packs and see who the manufacturers are and you could take it from there.

SB is right - snacking between meals isn't a French adult thing except perhaps with morning coffee if visitors arrive so I agree your target market would be children. Except... if there are 500,000 British people now in France, you could mount your whole strategy around providing biccies to this nutritionally-impoverished group. Christmas presentation packs of Calva-flavoured Chocolate Chip cookies anyone?!

Then partner with Delia Smith* and include your brand of chocolate chip cookies in a Delia pudding recipe in a tv program accompanied by a book and your product's success (and your virtual promotion to the virtual board of directors) is assured.

*Delia is translated and published in France.

Carole