Amazing Discovery!

Punch

I was talking to our local museum curator today and he has just told me of an amazing discovery  announced by archaeologists of the 3000-year-old village of the cartoon hero Asterix.

The village was said to have been found at Le Yaudet, near Lannion, France, in almost precisely the location where Rene Goscinny, Asterix's creator, had placed it in his books. The expedition was led by Professor Barry Cunliffe, of Oxford University, and Dr. Patrick Galliou, of the University of Brest.

Supposedly the team found evidence that the small village had never been occupied by Roman forces. They also discovered Celtic coins printed with the image of a wild boar (the favorite food of Asterix's friend Obelix), as well as a large collection of rare Iron Age menhirs (standing stones) "of the precise size favoured by the indomitable Obelix whose job as a menhir delivery man has added a certain academic weight to the books." announced the discovery by archaeologists of the 3000-year-old village of the cartoon hero Asterix.

Paul

http://www.lescale.net/sais075.htm

That's amazing.... apparently they've also discovered traces of a prehistoric community lwith a Magic Roundabout as well, it seems that Zebedis fossilised spring is almost pefect. Fancy both discoveries being announced on the same day.

I enjoyed the R4 Today program hoax this morning -

due to a long-forgotten, arcane and never repealed law, the order of succession to the throne will be changed when Charlie and Camilla marry next week. As Tom Parker Bowles is older than Wills and Harry, he will immediately become second in line to the throne.

Not necessarily a bad idea...

I know Le Yaudet very well,it not being more than 25mins from us and yes, each summer the archeo's descend to uncover more and more and then bizarrely cover it all over again for the winter,it makes me laugh when they have gone to so much trouble in the first place. Its a very beautiful spot and yes,you could imagine Asterix and his mates running wild round there although today it is quite built up with many houses,but the views are stunning out to sea where the river runs down from Lannion. We've got some roman baths near us that have been reconstructed but somehow they don't hold the same mystery as the stonework dosn't look much different to all the older houses in the area.