Saw part of it (Les Ripoux) and learnt that the word ripou (corrupt policeman) is « du Verlan » (backslang used among young people, inverting the syllables of words). « Ripou » is « pourri ». I didn’t know this. I knew of verlan, but didn’t know ripou came from that.

I just had a look at verlan in my dictionary and even the word verlan is « l’envers » pronounced back to front.

Other examples are «meuf » : femme, « laisse béton! » : laisse tomber! (forget it!), «Beur » : Arabe.

There is always something to learn!

I am also a fan of Antoine de Caunes and José Garcia.

I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first came out. I'm not sure I understood it completely at the time (I've seen it a few times since)  It's probably in my top 10 French films (probably in the first 10 I ever saw too) Ripoux 2 was watchable but nothing more, I can't remember if I've seen number 3, if i have then  but it's so forgettable that I can't remember any thing about it.

We're staying with family at the moment so we'll be watching Dolmen tonight

I didn't fancy Dolmen one bit so haven't been watching it.  Up in the frozen North are you?  Never mind, have a bol of cider and a galette!

The last saga I watched was the one with Charlotte de Turkenheim (sp) in.  Was it last year or the year before?

Time flies when you are having fun.

On the subject of Verlan, the following article by Jon Henley is top drawer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,868543,00.html

On the subject of French comedies, I saw 'Le goût des autres' the other day on FilmFour, loved it,  thoroughly recommended. Saw an even better one a few weeks ago: 'Tais-toi' with Depardieu and Jean Réno, such a hilarious film ! absolument poilant, and I'd imagine fairly easy for non native-speakers to follow or get the gist of.

I didn't enjoy Tais toi as much as some of the other Vebers although Depardieu/Reno was a tandem worth watching.

I avoided Dolmen in the end and watched L'aventure c'est l'aventure (ventura, brel...)

I haven't had a single galette since I got here. (loads of cidre though, most of it homemade:whistling

If you visit the "Times on Line" website there is a page for French films all summer long where they are discussed etc... and where you can get (I think) the DVDs.

It's called "French Café"

Today they have :

8 femmes

Le diner de cons

La Haine

and 3 other films I can't remember...

Happy watching!