Francoise Hardy

letrangere

Back on planet earth after Rael, great to see her interviewed on TV5 this morning.  Bit nervous and rather defensive even with an adoring (and very young) audience, she's ageing well and still sounding fabulous.  What an icon for a generation.  Just seeing her floppy (now attractively grey) fringe and big eyes I was transported back to my youth when I suppose if the word had been part of our vocabulary I would have described her as so "cool". 

But I was also curious to note some of the people in the audience.  There were several good looking young mecs who looked as though they'd walked straight into the studio from manning the barricades on Boulevard Saint Germain in May '68.  Does she have a cult following still?

M

On another part of this forum I posted 'Bardot' in answer to the question 'Who is your favotite French person. However Franciose Hardy was a close second.

I bet that each British-owned blue shuttered barn conversion in Aquitaine has an LP of hers waiting for the record player to be mended. (I bought her latest CD this summer).

For those growing up in the 60s Bardot was the fantasy wild fling but one felt that it would be pleasant to be friends with Franciose Hardy.

I bet that each British-owned blue shuttered barn conversion in Aquitaine has an LP of hers waiting for the record player to be mended

What a beautiful image.  May I add the suggestion that the blue paint is peeling? Even more authentic.

Can't beat CDs for quality but there's some music that actually sounds better on black vinyl.  Early opera recordings, scratchy jazz and I'd imagine Francoise Hardy.  Though for me in my youth I hear her on a juke box. And I can see myself scrounging centimes off my parents to put into the machine.    M

I loved her in my yoof.  When I was about 15 we got the french teacher to help us work out the words to Tous les Garcons et les Filles, I could probably recite (not sing ) them to this day.    Later on I saw her live in Cambridge and could sing along to most of her songs.  An excellent way of learning French.  We all yearned for long straight hair with that fringe, never achieved it though.  I can also remember going to Switzerland and picking up old juke box records of hers(45s), those with the big hole very cheap. You've opened a box of memories.

Liz (29) 

I read an interview with her in one of the broadsheets in the summer and she sounded remarkably charming and sane, (in as much as any celebrity in the music biz can be sane).

The interview mentioned coming over to London on the success of her first single in the late 60s and hanging out with the Rolling Stones who were in the first flush of their 'enfant terrible' phase*She says that she never let any of them near her as she would have been too embarrased to confess that she was still a virgin.

* It is to their credit that they are still in it.

I hate to shatter all your dreams but have you heard her talking about herself and her life recently?

Absolutely, only last Saturday on TV5, this is what I was referring to.  She struck me as being perfectly normal, rather diffident and ever so slightly ill at ease on camera but confident of her own personal opinions, and charmed by the warmth of the audience that was invited to ask questions, many of which were quite probing.  She looked so relieved when her ordeal was over.  I thought she was delightful.  M

I too saw her on a French television programme recently, quite an event as she doesn't like to appear much, that is why I said she remains so digne, une grande dame, and she is still as shy and unsure of herself.

The programme was on a few months ago and was repeated recently and I watched it all through again as I found she was very open about herself and had a marvellous way of analysing and speaking about situations in life.

But then, I'm also barking mad... 

Was it the one were she went on about the stars etc.  Not astrology....fortune telling, horoscopes etc.  There was also a very long article in one of the glossies about her writing a book I think.  My memory!

They are a strange couple her and Jacques.  He is so laid back and in your face and she is well, different.  My husband and I were just talking about them tonight when I mentioned you were discussing her.

Still, have you heard the duet?  You will melt.

I don't know if you are asking me or M, Alexis.  But the programme I saw was nothing about her astrology side, but about her, her life and life...  She is really an anti-star, so simple (in the French way).

Yes they are probably different, that is why Jacques stays in Corsica with his cats, his bottles and his cigar between his teeth!

No, haven't heard the duet, yet.