Tipping the Postman

Poppy

I always tip the Postman and the Pompiers 20 euros each at Christmas. I

think they do a great job and it does at least show that they are

appreciated. I take the calendar either from the Pompiers or from the

Postman, but not from both. I don't tip the dustmen as we are in the

'sticks' and take our rubbish to the tip. I am a pensioner but wouldn't

dream of giving less.

So, those of you who don't tip the postman/pompiers; don't you tip in restaurants either? Perhaps you're too young to remember Christmas boxes in the UK. As the daughter of a postman, I know what a difference it made to our Christmas. Nice to see someone's doing their bit for Anglo French relations anyway!

Personally I tip postman, passing pompiers and so

on.  I generally tipped in restaurants too, if I thought the

service has been ok, but I was recently out with a French friend who

has  lived in the UK, who told me she never tips in French

restaurants, unless the service has been particularly good, because she

knows that here the service is included, whereas in the UK it is not

always the case and she would tip.  I must admitt, her comment has made me think

twice, and now I don't always feel I should leave a tip here in France

if the service has only been ok, rather than good.
  [8-)]

I know what you mean about tipping in restaurants. I only mentioned it because I think many people tip then because they think it's the done thing, whereas outside of the hospitality industry they can be mean and say that "these people are paid already".

[quote user="Tourangelle"]Personally I tip postman, passing pompiers and so on.  I generally tipped in restaurants too, if I thought the service has been ok, but I was recently out with a French friend who has  lived in the UK, who told me she never tips in French restaurants, unless the service has been particularly good, because she knows that here the service is included, whereas in the UK it is not always the case and she would tip.  I must admitt, her comment has made me think twice, and now I don't always feel I should leave a tip here in France if the service has only been ok, rather than good.  [8-)]
[/quote]

Re. Tipping in restaurants in France: This has been discussed before on this forum, some will agree and some will disagree!

Tourangelle, we have been given the same information by a French friend who dines out a lot as part of his job, so we would rarely leave a tip after a meal in a restaurant in France. When we have been out with French friends they do not tip but British ones often do and maybe they just don't realise that things are different in France.

If we are on about restos again then the idea that the service charge is included is just some sort of lousy rotten joke on the staff in far too many restos in France.

Truth is that they will be cooking and serving for you illegally and actually working for nothing some of the time, but hey it is written that the service charge is included and so people don't tip.

I know how too many restos work, not all I am pleased to say, but far too many, and it is probably worst in tourist areas during the season. So we tip, it would have to be exceptionally bad for us not to.