Hand Shake with dirty hands

somme man

Can anyone help me please.

On a number of occaisions now tradesmen working on our house have in a very pleasant way refused to shake my hand as theirs have been dirty, they proceed to bend their right hand towards them and offer me their wrist.

What should my response be?

To date I have tried shaking the wrist, holding out my wrist and also proclaiming that i am not concerned by their dirty hands all of which appear incorrect.

Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

You just give a "handshake" on their wrist, they are offering that instead of their dirty hand.   [:)]

[/quote]

I've known the little finger to be offered when all else is dirty.  In that case, as far as I know, all that is required (as with bisoux) is to make the appearance of shaking hands etc.  It is certainly a no/no not to try to attach and shake some part of the anatomy.  I think it's nice courtesy that they try to shake hands regardless.

If you wish to be on equal termswith the tradesman, i.e. I am not a rich English pigeon just a humble working guy like you then you seize his dirty hand and shake it vigorously whilst saying "Bof".

Preferably when he arrives not as he is leaving after unblocking your drains [;-)]

I agree with JR, But us JRs have got to stick together!!!

If I am offered a dirty hand to shake by the back of the wrist then I usually say "Par de problem" and take the hand. It's usually greeted with a huge smile and a dirty hand.

The next time my hands are dirty is NOT going to be the first time!!!

And it won't be the last!

On Sunday last I was cooking/preparing lunch for 50 at a chum's house and was still working when the guests arrived. 

I offered my wrist because my hands were oily, fishy etc and several of the Brits there couldn't understand what I was doing.

Interestingly, the French people there just grasped my hand despite my protestations, their wives still did bisous but the non-French by and large looked a bit perplexed.  Some people grabbed the wrist, others sort of looked embarrased.