RSVP in France

allanb

We recently sent out invitations for an informal party to celebrate a birthday: about 20% were to French people and the rest to a mixture of nationalities, but mostly British.  We used the acronym "RSVP" in both the English and the French versions, thinking that RSVP should be equally understandable in both languages.

All of the British replied, one way or another (phone, letter, e-mail).

Not one of the French did, except for a few whom we happened to meet in the street, who said "Ah, yes, thanks for the invitation, we will be happy to come" (or: "we're sorry we can't").

With or without the "RSVP", is it not customary in France to reply, somehow, to a written invitation?

Yes, I would say that's a difference, although it's such a long time since I was invited to a party in the UK that I can't be sure.

However, I think that I would always reply if "RSVP" appeared in the invitation.  It would avoid the terrible risk of being told: sorry, there's no wine left, we didn't know you were coming.

[quote user="allanb"]

It would avoid the terrible risk of being told: sorry, there's no wine left, we didn't know you were coming.

[/quote]

You must mix with odd people, allanb. Everyone I know in France has several dozen bottles in stock at all times - and these are just for casual visitors.

John

[quote user="Clair"]Cultural differences...
 In France, RSVPs tend to be used for formal occasions where the head count is important (wedding for example) and it is unusual to have to confirm you're coming for a party.[/quote]

Would it be contracted to RSVP or written in full though Clair?

My thinking is that perhaps the contraction is not normal or recognisable in France.

Bit of a pretencious thing to do in England really but it has always been that way[:)]

I believe the contracted form is perfectly understood by all in France.

When the head count is critical to the occasion, like a banquet or a wedding meal, where a number of portions are prepared according to that number for each course, most people understand why they must RSVP.

For a party where there is an assumption of "come over and have a drink and a nibble", most French people would be surprised at having to formalise their reply.

EDIT: most wedding invitations contain a pre-printed RSVP card, which the guest completes (name, yes or no, number of guests) and sends back to the host before a given date.

[quote user="I wish J.R. would get rid of that apostrophe but anyway he"]Would it be contracted to RSVP or written in full though Clair?

My thinking is that perhaps the contraction is not normal or recognisable in France.[/quote]

I did think about this before sending the invitations.  I have a bilingual dictionary by Harrap which lists "RSVP" in both the French and English sections, and the Petit Larousse includes it in its list of abbreviations.  So I think it's well understood, and - as Clair said - it seems to be a genuine cultural difference.