Black Cats, Horsehoes and Ladders

Punch

Further to my Premium Bond win this morning .......

A black cat crossed my path yesterday whilst driving to work so I am sure this is why I won the PB this morning [:D] , I thought that in France it was the opposite meaning if that happened ie; bad luck ??

I have also been told that horseshoes should be hung the opposite way to the U shape that most Brits hang them. Does what country you live in have a bearing on it - I mean I'm English but should I hang my horsehoes upside down because I live in France ?

What about walking under ladders ? What superstitions exist here ?

You should only hang a horseshoe upside down (ie the points downwards) if you are a blacksmith and it is on the entrance of the smithy so the luck can pour down on the customers entering the shop.  Otherwise it's always points upwards to hold the luck.  Well at least in England, America and Germany.  I actually don't know about France

I have 2 black cats and haven't noticed any  dramatic difference in my luck from when i had them in England or France!!

As for horseshoes, i agree with Pierre, except that i thought the reason for blacksmiths having them upside down was for the luck to run out onto the anvil/ into the shop.Every horseshoe I've seen hung up in France has been U facing down. So i should have mine upside down, and should win both ways. As for the rest of you mere mortals......i'd stay away from them!! [:)]

I am not really superstitious, but the one thing that has always felt like a really bad omen is seeing a dead cat. Saw one yesterday [:'(]

I normally walk under ladders, but wonder if having the black cats kinda keeps the balance?!

How much did you win Punch? Are you sharing it out? Can i have some? [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

Meg writed "I am not really superstitious, but the one thing that has always felt like a really bad omen is seeing a dead cat. Saw one yesterday Cry Out [:'(]".

If nowt else it ain't the best luck that the cat ever had[6]!!

I have never been superstitious and have never worried about luck good or bad touch wood?