The "Not French dont buy culture "

Frederick

What is it about the French and wine that makes them turn their noses up at a good buy when its not French ?

Just bought a case of 12 Sileni Estates Selection   Semillon 13.5 %  very acceptable from  Hawkes Bay New Zealand .....Only 1 euro 30 a bottle when alongside cases of French wine I would say only fit to sprinkle on my chips or cooking moules they were buying at a far bigger price . Shipped half way round the world and even at a crazy low price few takers for this quality New Zealand  wine on a French shelf ...Oh well their loss my gain !

Mille Stocks in Lucon .but they have other branches Sweet. ....may be one near you ...  I cant pass the place without a search through their wines ....makes my day when I find a bargain .What they get in changes frequently so forces you through their door .....and as I never drink before 8pm  before somebody suggests in...I am not an alcholic !

Come on S D .. fair play   !  There are thousands of bottles of French stuff on UK shelves and countries world wide ...Are you suggesting  you only want a one way traffic here ? France will suffer under protectionism more than most if that is what you are really suggesting ....I just think they should try somebody elses food and drink for a change a little producer like New Zealand is hardly likely to hurt them much and I am sure they send plenty French wine and sprits out to them .

We've found that the rural French are pretty stuck in their ways.  I think it's because their life experiences are very limited compared to Brits.  The oft cited '1950's England' analogy is appropriate for many aspects of rural French life - food, travel, cultural outlook, racial attitudes.  It's like asking my 90 year old granny if she wants Thai food for tea.

I know what you mean Scooby regarding rural France but this  area of the Vendee is very tourist occupied and thousands of second home owners from Paris holiday and retire here  Lots of people who are switched on and well travelled   .. I was surprised to see  a wine that is between £8 and £9 a botttle in the UK was still  on offer and at such a low price .

I wouldn't mind if it was " I've tried it and French is better" But the the "I don't want it if it is not French" attitude is just stupid. So they will allow any old rubbish to be foisted on them as long  as it is French? How can a French producer (of wine or anything else) be pursueded to improve a product given this attitude? It will serve the country right if the wine industry has to cut back. I believe (correct me if wrong) that the export market is very important to the French wine production market.

The French have lost a substantial part of their export market for wine to new world producers - largely as a result of arrogance.  Now that their overseas markets have experienced what other regions, outside France, have to offer (particularly with their more precise / controlled production methods) the French stand to lose even more of their market share. 

IMHO the French are too insular for their own good,