TV program tonight: Yann Arthus-Bertrand

Clair

On FR2 tonight at 20:40: HOME

(also on You Tube until 14 June)

[quote]In the space of a few decades, man has upset a balance achieved over almost four billion

years of evolution on Earth. He now puts his own future and the planet at

risk.

The price to pay is heavy but it is too late to be pessimistic:

there are still only ten years for humanity to become aware of its

exploitation of the vast riches of the Earth and change its mode of

consumption and production.

By offering unprecedented images of more

than fifty countries from the sky, by sharing his wonder as much as his

concern, with this film Yann Arthus-Bertrand reminds of a world which needs to be preserved.[/quote]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]That will be marvellous on your new telly Clair! [/quote]

We've just had a massive thunderstorm and the TNT transmitter is out of action for now...

All I get is a "no signal" banner [:(]

I'll watch it on You Tube instead.

I watched it, thank you so much Claire, I have seen several of his programmes before of the same genre, one very long one on pay to view but that was the best of all.

The first 20 minutes were enchanting in their natural beauty which made the impact of rest of the programme even more stark, the repeated theme was "tous accelere".

It did end on a very optimistic note "qu'est-ce qu'on attend?"

P.S What is the name of the programe of the same theme that he presents and on what channel? I havnt seen it for a while but it was one of my favorites together with Planet Insolite (AKA Globetrekker) and Thallassa.

It was soooo beautiful - and terrifying too. The discussion and questions was also thought provoking. It is sad that France has one of the worst record for biodiversity protection, from wolves to songbirds, chemical and antibiotic use. Only 2 % of production is bio and most imported from afar.

Can anybody remember the name of the woman talking about sustained development. She made some very interesting points- especially about the 'rich' world supporting developing nations rather than pointing the finger and blaming them for wanting to emulate our western development style. I haven't had time yet to look up Tristan Lecomte 'altereco' association.

The first good programme I have seen on French TV in 3 months here!

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

P.S What is the name of the programe of the same theme that he presents and on what channel? I havnt seen it for a while but it was one of my favorites together with Planet Insolite (AKA Globetrekker) and Thallassa.

[/quote]

Vu du Ciel, France 2

Many of the photos used are available free on his site http://www.yannarthusbertrand2.org/main.php

Excellent film.

If you go via www.home-2009.com you can also find it with an English (or Spanish or German) soundtrack. However, if your French is good enough, the sound balance is much better on the French version (the English and Spanish versions are almost at whisper level, drowned by the music).

I do not allow RealPlayer anywhere near my computers (Real are worse than Microsoft for fiddling with your machine without your say-so and probably without your knowledge).

A good way of saving the film is by using the Firefox browser with the DownloadHelper add-on - that combination should allow you to save almost any video from almost any source.

If you want to play .ra and .ram without RealPlayer then download RealAlternative.

Odile, was the woman Isabelle Delannoy?

[quote user="chessfou"]A good way of saving the film is by using the Firefox browser with the DownloadHelper add-on - that combination should allow you to save almost any video from almost any source.[/quote]

I had not tried that before... Very good suggestion, thanks.