FRENCH EATING HABITS

hakunamatata

I understand what the French have for breakfast, but what does the lady of the house normally cook for lunch? and if they have a four course lunch daily what, if anything, do they eat in the evenings?  I ask this purely out of interest.  Also most of our French neighbours have big barbees in their gardens but never seem to use them and never seem to eat outside either.  Any replies would be of great interest.

Today, my neighbour prepared grated carrots and sliced tomatoes, a roast chicken and green beans. This will most probably be followed by some local cheese and a home-made dessert/tart. Apart from the carrots, the veg come from her garden and the chicken comes from a local market trader.

Her husband is an active farmer whose day starts around 5 or 6 am when he has some breakfast.He comes back home around 9:30 for some saucisson and chocolate to keep him going until lunch.

If this sounds like a lot for lunch, you have to remember that it's in the portion size.

In the evening, my other neighbours usually have home-made veg soup, something like an omelette with some salad and a fruit yoghurt or some cheese and a piece of fruit. They are retired and tend to go to bed around 9 pm.

After retiring it took us years to get used to eating at lunchtime. We're both very English but it's muesli with yoghurt for her and one round of muti grain toast and butter or jam for me.

Elevenses may include a slice of brioche as a treat, then main meal at oneish plus fruit and then a small sandwich for tea. We beat Clair's neighbour by staying up until 10 pm. It's all a question of eating your age.

That's the normal but of course we have days when we go out or have friends around when we eat (and drink) quite a bit more.

Well

It got me too when I arrived and I'm still not quiet sure.

I would just have a bowl of cereal in the morning, followed by lunch out - starter - mains- desert- 1/4 wine - coffee, all for 10euros how could you say no. The problem was my wife who was at home was cooking the usual big dinner after work 9Just like back in Ire.) probably with more wine. I'm not joking when I say within 8mts I put on 12Kgs lol.

But I am amazed at what the french can eat dinner at 9pm is fairly normal with my french friends.

However you will be hard pushed to get into a restaurant  as late as 9pm.

Second point...rather different...look at what the French eat....take a close look.

Where is the butter? Some cheese...but in my region...very little butter and very little cream.

lots of salad....not really any mayo....not so much dressing.

simple braised meats.No fish and chips.

yes sometimes frites from the freezer...I guesse [not in our house!]