Local Chasse - what is the etiquette

nectarine

I have invited the local chasse onto my land to shoot some ducks (far too many) but I just wonder if there's an etiquette to this. Am I supposed to offer them a drink afterwards, or allow them to keep the kill? The chasse leader asked me if I wanted the ducks and I said "just one or two" and he said I could have them all if I wanted ... but is he expected to keep the catch?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this. The chasse chap seems very helpful and is keen to come onto our land to kill rabbits and a couple of coypu but I just want to know if there's supposed to be some kind of refreshments offered by the landowner.

Thanks for all advice.

[quote user="nectarine"]I have invited the local chasse onto my land to shoot some ducks (far too many) [/quote]

Oh dear .................................. the power of being Judge and Jury

Have you not thought that perhaps those ducks (and rabbits - coypus) are 'happy' living on your land with you?

Bugbear, I didn't want to get into a discussion about why I wanted rid of those animals but I guess I would be curious as well if I were reading my own question.

There are too many ducks, simple fact, and they are becoming a nuisance. They now come up to the house and roam all over the patio, despite me shooing them away. Ducks are pretty incontinental, when they walk they poo, and we've had a frightful fly problem which isn't being helped by duck poo splats everywhere. They're also terrorising my few chickens by taking all the food and driving them away. So I'm planning to reduce the number of ducks by half to make my life and my chickens' life easier and see if the fly numbers also reduce.

The coypu is a sweet creature but it burrows into riverbanks and can destroy them - our lake is on a raised artificial bank at one side with a coypu hole in it. I rarely see the creature but there's a real risk of the bank collapsing - it has to go.

And the rabbits. Well they are sweet and fluffy but when your land has hidden rabbit holes and you walk across it and - crash - end up knee deep in a hole, well they need to be reduced. I have nearly broken my ankle by walking across to put some washing out.

If this bothers you, then let me balance it out by telling you that we have taken in a wild kitten that was starbing in some stables nearby and nursed it back to health. I feel there's a little bit of karma going on here.

In reducing these wild animals down, I asked the local chasse knowing that they would do the job cleanly and efficiently and hopefully with minimum suffering to the ducks.

Now, just back to the original point ..... is there a chasse etiquette that I am supposed to be aware of?