Street music

allanb

I'm not sure that this has much to do with culture, but I don't know where else to post it.

In my five years living in France, I've noticed an increasing tendency for local authorities to install loudspeaker systems, attached to buildings, broadcasting music to all and sundry.  I think this is disgusting.  What right do they have to force me to listen to something which I don't necessarily like? 

Since I live in a fairly isolated place in the country it only affects me when I go into the town.  But I absolutely hate it.  If I can go somewhere else to shop, I will.

I try to imagine what it must be like to live in an apartment with that fixed to the wall.  Does anyone ask the local population whether they want it, I wonder?  Or is it there only because someone gets a commission on selling the systems?

End of rant. 

[quote user="allanb"]I'm not sure that this has much to do with culture, but I don't know where else to post it.

In my five years living in France, I've noticed an increasing tendency for local authorities to install loudspeaker systems, attached to buildings, broadcasting music to all and sundry.  I think this is disgusting.  What right do they have to force me to listen to something which I don't necessarily like? 

Since I live in a fairly isolated place in the country it only affects me when I go into the town.  But I absolutely hate it.  If I can go somewhere else to shop, I will.

I try to imagine what it must be like to live in an apartment with that fixed to the wall.  Does anyone ask the local population whether they want it, I wonder?  Or is it there only because someone gets a commission on selling the systems?

End of rant. 

[/quote]

Um.. supermarkets have been doing this for years.

Personally, if the music is chosen properly, I think it adds to the ambience of the street. In my village, it's only broadcasting on Fridays, market days, and is possibly used to create a certain atmosphere. The music played is always traditional French music, and I feel it creates a je ne sais quoi to the town.

As most of the buildings the speakers are attached to are mainly commercial, I don't see it as a problem. Certainly breaks up the normal sound of heavy trucks thrashing through the village.

[quote user="allanb"]

I try to imagine what it must be like to live in an apartment with that fixed to the wall.  Does anyone ask the local population whether they want it, I wonder?

[/quote]

We live 2 kms from a small town which has lots of (mainly) summer visitors and throughout July and August the town suffers the same fate as yours. IMHO it wouldn't be so annoying if the noise were quieter or if they actually played some Breton music. We get modern stuff (I think) and, from time to time a DJ who's other job seems to be in a 'boîte de nuit'. If I lived in town I cannot imagine how awful it would be to have that blur of noise around all day long.

But there you go, I'm just a grumpy old woman and an immigrant to boot., so what do I know about what the tourists need to keep them happy? Mind you there were fewer of them this summer - perhaps t'was the music that drove them away!

Sue

With exception of, perhaps, Christmas I'm very cynical about piped music.  Usually the music is chosen to have desired psychological effects - slow music to make you linger in the store (and maybe buy more) fast music to hurry you along (fast food chains / restaurants).  I object to people trying to manipulate me.

[quote user="Scooby"]With exception of, perhaps, Christmas I'm very cynical about piped music.  Usually the music is chosen to have desired psychological effects - slow music to make you linger in the store (and maybe buy more) fast music to hurry you along (fast food chains / restaurants).  I object to people trying to manipulate me.
[/quote]

You have reason to be very very scared they are probably using binaural stimuli probably alpha waves and maybe infrasound to relax you in an attempt to brainwash you into emptying your money sack.

It is best to use ear defenders but stimuli can also be visual - just check out all that bright packaging...

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats