french attitudes that annoy you

Patf

Sort of, the group of people that I was with had looks on their faces like they were waiting for something that didnt come to pass.

The film I watched on the TV which had the 15 minutes of crédits which made me recall the French (Crank 2) had out-takes during the crédits, I wanted to see who played the Chinaman and it was David Carradine.

And yes, come to think of it I hadnt been to the cinema in years so the whole audience would have known what currently was happening but didnt for that film hence their bemused expressions.

There is a community cinema near me and I go quite often. As you say everyone always stays until the credits have finished. I found it astonishing at first but it seems normal now. I think there is generally more interest in the mechanics of film-making here than in the UK, people tend to discuss directors and producers and special effects teams rather than just talking about the film itself, and they have more film festivals etc. The names mean nothing to me but I actually like just sitting there for a few minutes reflecting on the film, before going back to real life. I suppose if I went to a cinema in the UK I would be surprised when people get up and leave while the credits are still rolling.

I suppose, why not? You're sitting there comfortable and relaxed, you're interested to some extent on what's rolling on the screen, there's nowhere else you need to be, so what's the hurry to get up and go out before you need to? Also I suppose it's considered polite because it shows respect for the people who made and funded the film you've just enjoyed. Why do people stay and clap for a few minutes at the end of a play or concert when the band or the actors have finished playing? well, because it would look rude to just get up and walk out without bothering with any acknowledgment.

Sounds like the cinema that I went to in Belgium to escape the rain and sleep off a hangover, first warning that all was not what it seemed was that the concierge was giving a hand towel to all the visitors that were 100% old men in trenchcoats who once in the salle were vigourosly polishing their glasses under their  coats [:-))]

They used to be called "dirty old men" in those days, funny how that phrase has dropped out of usage since any rich or celeb DOM's became prey for  gold diggers.

I can't go to a cinema in France. One, because they are dirty with generally old tech. Two, because I refuse to watch Star Wars VO with fecking subtitles. It spoils the movie.

Talking of which, one of the most annoying things in France is their necessity to change the name of an English Film.

WHY DO THEY DO THAT ????? IT REALLY ANNOYS ME.

There is no need to change the name. Translate the film, subtile it....but don't change the flipin name.

Ok, I get Dunkerque. LOL.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I agree, it always sounds insincere on the rare occasions that I have ever heard an attempt at an apology.

I say "je suis vraiment desolé, je suis navré que............"

[/quote]

My first French teacher, who is now a very good friend, told me that désolé(e) is fine on its own and does not need qualification.  That is no need for vraiment or si or anything else.

If I am truly sorry for something I have done or said and if I am in a more formal situation, I say, je vous demande pardon and that is always very well accepted and I am told that whatever it is doesn't matter and not to worry.

This thread turned into a discussion on French cinemas! Back to the subject: I don't like to complain, as an incomer, and you can't blame locals for saying 'If you dislike it so much, leave'. However, I agree about 'Sorry'. We got a letter about an unpaid bill from months back, and when I phoned to say we'd paid it on the day at their premises, I got no apology. The other thing is when you are waiting and the official is busy or on the phone, you are totally ignored. At the dump, you have to present yourself to the jobsworth. So we waited, and waited, while he had a long phone call, knowing we were there. He could have said 'Hold on a minute' to whoever he was talking to, checked our car and waved us on... Same in shops, where people seem to have interminable conversations with staff. They never catch your eye, let alone say 'I'll be with you in a minute" or take your money before turning back to the Ancient Mariners!

As for bureaucrats, ours is not to wonder why. My French neighbour used to answer my frustrated comments with 'Mais, c'est comme ca'.

They dont need to enter the building they just wave their reader at the pastille téléreportage on the outside coffret électrique to take the readings of every compteur Inside the building.

With Linky they wont even need to leave their desk but they are trying to say to the people like myself who are refusing the Linkys that the cost of each meter reading  will be €110 ht.

To be fair Blodwyn, French customers can be the same.

I was in a supermarket yesterday in Paris, and the customer that had just been served decided to pack and pay for their shopping as slooooowly as possible. She could see that we were waiting but really made a point to pack their shopping as slowly as possible in order to annoy us. It was clear.

Well it did not annoy us, we just started chatting in English very loudly and cracking jokes and being happy. She quite clearly got annoyed that we were not annoyed.

I think me and the kids ruined her day...lol.

The French....I don't now where to start. They are just plain rude and miserable.

They have made that into an art form here, besides being sent to another till to shorten the queue and then waiting 15 minutes for the cashier to come out and start by which time the other queue had beens served plus another 10 people, then the people before you will have their other halves go and get more and more stuff off the shelves while they hold you up, sometimes the Partner has a second trolley, the woman is just to hold a place in the queue.

Then they will ask for it to be done as 3 seperate bills and screwing up the card payment each time, it is deliberate and they thoroughly enjoy it, I dont think that its widespread but just the mentality of people where I live, they will also walk 4,5,6 abreast on a narrow path or at rédéries indeed I think their motivation for pushing out as many halfwits as they do is to make an even wider load.

Last week in Lidl I finally had enough at the tills, that was when what I described above happened, I left all my shopping on the tapis roulant and left with my empty shopping bags. I went back in today half expecting to be banned but nothing was said.

As I left I thought of one of the memorable comments from Dave 21478 about how he could easily turn into a mass murderer [:D]

No, same behaviour where we live. Wherever we live. LOL

What annoys me even more is when they open a new till in a supermarket. People behind me (or even worse someone that was lucky enough to pass at the moment it opens) rush to it and fight each other trying to get there first. Being British I used to let those have queued before me enter first when the new till opens. Do I get thanks ?.....NOOO...they just think I am weird and shake their head. Cretin !!!

Anyway, now I am ALB more F I rush to the new opening till and headbutt anyone who tries to overtake me.

I think the French are generally more polite than Brits. OH and I often let someone go ahead of us at the checkout if they only have a couple of items, and they always say 'Thank you'. It's when you join a queue as the person in front has few items, then they pull a load more out of a shopping bag! And my heart always sinks when someone, having taking ages to pack their bags, reaches for the cheque book. Why can't there be a 'no cheques' till?