Good restaurants around Sarlat

Keith

Having just bought a house in Sarlat in the Dordogne we are keen to sample some genuine French cuisine. Unfortunately most of the restaurants we have found cater mainly for tourists.

Can anybody recommend some decent restaurants in Sarlat or within a 20 mile radius of Sarlat.

Many thanks

Keith

The Soleil D'Or Hotel in Montignac has a wonderful restaurant - good food and a lovely atmosphere. It's about 15 minutes from Sarlat. There's also a very good italian restaurant there, although I don't think it opens again until February.

We're just ten minutes from Montignac - are you here permanently or second homers? Montignac is well worth a visit if you get the time, it's truly beautiful.

Kate

Hi
There is a restaurant just outside Beynac which is nice and traditional, we have always had a good meal there I believe its called something similar to Le Ferme des Chateaux, but I cant remember and can't find it in the phone book - sorry! Go from Sarlat towards Beynac, just before you come to Beynac you go under a bridge - its just after the bridge on the left hand side. They are open all year too, which is good! Bonne Chance

>Having just bought a house in
>Sarlat in the Dordogne

WHY ? .... IF:

>Unfortunately most
>of the restaurants we have
>found cater mainly for tourists.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm !Perhaps the water's good then ? It certainly can't be the wine !!! (If the food's crap and it's full of tourists why on earth would you want to buy property there ?).
Filthy lucre perhaps ?

A totally bemused Francophile.

You might like to try the Hotel Restaurant de Plaisance at Vitrac.
I too love the one Maggie mentioned - it changed hands over winter 02/03 and you no longer have to sweep the chickens off the outdoor tables. I think its proper name is Le Relais de Cinq Chateaux. Definitely the same one though, just past (or before) the railway bridge.
We've also eaten well at the Hotel Restaurant du Chateau in the centre of Beynac. We had some veggie visitors and this place actually had more than one veggie dish on the menu.
Le Petit Paris at Daglan might be within your twenty mile limit and is, I think, the best of the bunch. A very limited menu but superb food.
Happy eating - I'll be interested to know how you go on and would welcome your suggestions when you've been in situ a little longer.
And to Alfa "why buy here" - well, I reckon sitting on the wall by the river at la Roque Gageac and watching the sun go down or come up,often through the mist, is about as close to heaven as one get get. How I wish I were there now.
Hoddy