Birth Certificate translations

Pumpkin

Hi,

Can somebody please help as I feel like I'm going crazy and banging my head against yet another brick wall!!

I have applied for a carte familles nombreuses from the SNCF as I have 4 children and this will allow me cheaper entry to places and cheaper train fares etc as with 4 it gets very expensive.

It has been refused as I need to get all the birth certificates and marriage certificate translated into French by an ambassador or the Embassy or consulate from the country concerned or an agreed translator!!

I have telephoned the SNCF and pleaded my case stating that the passports are in French too but no that's not good enough as it needs to be the birth certificates! Ministry of transport rules and all that, rules are rules! I explained it had not been necessary for the school, CAF, tax or in registering our business but it fell on deaf ears!!

I then thought oh well just get them translated! I called the British Embassy Paris who said they can't help phone the Ministry of Transport in France to provide you with a translator. I can't find who to call so I called the UK and to cut a long story short it is going to cost me £414!!

Any ideas what I can do or shall I just give up??!!

[quote user="Pumpkin"]Any ideas what I can do or shall I just give up??!![/quote]

How about sending these people an email or giving them a call; they promise a quote within an hour, which might help you decide whether £414 is about right or beyond the pale. They are traducteurs assermentés.

Sue

Thanks they were really helpful but it is 56 € per document so 392 € in total but as I have so much I may be eligible for a discount so better than the UK but I would need to make alot of train journeys and visit lots of places to see any return on my investment!! It just seems so crazy to have to get them translated. Funnily enough if I had only 2 children it would be easier as I would be eligible for a new card that the SNCF are now issuing and all I would need is my CAF attestation. But unfortunaely I cannot get the CAF attestation as I have too many children so am not eligible for this card and my CAF attestation isn't sufficient for the card I am applying for which is basically the same thing!

• 1 month later...

Your mairie should be able to give you a list of the official recognised translaters or search using  maps.google.fr or www.pagesjaunes.fr . You need an official translator and most already have templates to translate uk certificates. A few years back, we got 3 birth+marriage certificates done for around euros50

regs

Richard