Thon

Aspiran

Hello all. I've got a question about tuna. Has anyone ever seen ahi tuna, also called "sushi" grade tuna in France? Most of what I see at the supermarche and the weekly marche in town bears no resemblance to the nice firm tuna "steaks" I can buy at home. Also, does anyone have a favorite method of preparing the thon sold at the marches? Thanks in advance, Janice

I'm afraid not. I search for different types too as after being poisoned by a tuna salad onboard a BF ship back in 1998 I developed a severe allergy to all tinned tuna and I absolutely love it especially with mayonaise in sandwiches of brown bread. I only buy the cheap stuff now for our siamese cat who hates conventional cat foods and we tend to eat more salmon (not farmed I add). Have you asked a local fishmonger about this type at all, you never know or a local large supermarket.

Nearly all the tuna I've seen in Languedoc markets and fishmongers have been Mediterranean fish that have a darker meatier flesh. They cut slices (steaks) off whole fish on deamand which is better as the tuna deteriorates faster once cut into smaller pieces.

A quick flash on the BBQ is the simplest of preparations. I've also poached them in olive oil - cover tuna in olive oil in a pan and warm gently until cooked to your taste. This gives you a moist and succulent version tinned tuna - good for salads.

Supermarkets may occasionally stock fillets of lighter fleshed varieties - keep an eye out.

Graham

Best way for any fish to be cooked other than on a grill is in the microwave, keeps in all the flavours and keeps it moist.

Just put a squeeze of lemon juice, a knob of butter and a good grind of pepper and nuke for around 3-5 minutes according to the size of the steak and also depending on your taste.

MMMM will have to go to Carrefour and get some now for dinner with a salad