Units of alcohol in drinks

Racerbear02

In the hospital waiting room where I was waiting for an x-ray recently there was a poster with pictures of several different drinks asking "Do you know the alcohol content of these, which is highest" (in French and can't remember the actual wording).  The poster said to "ask your doctor".

H.

There is a publicity campaign on at the moment advising not more than three glasses of wine a day for men and two for women.  To prevent well, your liver packing up I suppose. 

Drink driving prevention seems to focus one one person not drinking at all and him/her driving.  The police do an awful lot of checks close to nightclubs/disco's every weekend.  Every Sunday morning there seems to be another car crashing and all the passengers dying. 

For ages, there have been campaigns to get people to limit themselve to two glasses of alcohol  before driving (un verre, ça passe; deux ça casse ....) BUT nobody really mentions what size these glasses are supposed to be. I know of people who complain if they are caught over the limit that they can't be because they only had two glasses of wine (which they poured themselves) with their meal.

Add to this the strong belief that beer (and sometimes cider) don't count as alcohol.

http://www.cramif.fr/partenaires_sante/education_sante/alcool1_1.asp

No more than two glasses per day on average for women, three for men... and one day without alcohol per week... are recommended. As Mistral says, any glasses, any drink...