Buying a cooker

sasfields

I'm looking for a range-type cooker, or at least one that is minimum 90cms with 6 burners.

Does anyone know of a good showroom within striking distance of the Lot? Or can anyone recommend a particular type of cooker that I can research - must be all LPG.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue

Just a couple of points that you might or might not be aware of. I have been doing a lot of research on cookers and four or five friends of mine who have these range cookers find them very expensive to run - they usually rate D or E on the economy list. Not a problem if you are always cooking for large numbers but if you are often cooking for 2 a bit expensive to run. Most of these cookers also only come with one shelf so something else to watch out for.  In the end my choice was an electric fan oven and a separate 6 burner hob. 

Most french gas ovens have the burners in the base of the oven which means that things get burnt on the bottom.You might be able to get one with burners at the back but you should check first. Like Passiflora we have gas hob and electric fan oven. Had a cheap gas oven first - not very good. Pat.

Well - I love my huge cheapy inox bottled gas cooker. As long as you open the lid (have removed ours) when cooking in the oven and are a bit careful things don't burn.

It's a Bompani 5 burner with one (very large ) shelf (wouldn't need two) and a spit roaster - cost 699 from Geant. Only problem is it's not self cleaning and the oven hasn't got electronic ignition (we thought it had when we bought it!!).

I always found "normal" ovens too small. I can gets loads in this - and often cook two meals together and I am always cooking for friends. Costs 19 euros every two months for the gas bottle which is hidden in a kitchen unit. Love it - wouldn't go back to small ovens and will definitely upgrade in a couple of years (am saving for a Lacanch).

If you have an "Expert" magazin near you, they are a national chain, you will find cookers of all sizes in there including dream cookers!!

regards........helen

Thanks for your thoughts, ladies.

Just one more question (famous last words). How do you find the cost of running the electric fan oven? We aren't permanent residents yet and haven't really got to grip with the electric tariffs but many people have told us that cooking with electricity is very expensive.

At the moment our house has a very old bottled gas cooker, three rings and a tiny oven left by the previous owner and probably purchased in 1950!!! We've put up with it whilst it was a holiday home (as we can always cook on the bbq as well for a crowd) but will need to replace it before we move over permanently in about 2 years time.

Regards,

Sue