Foolproof couscous

Suandpete

I haven't cooked couscous for ages, but when I did it went like this : for two people, chop a small onion very finely and fry slowly in chicken or beef fat until softened and golden. Add the couscous, as much as needed, and then chicken or beef soup to just cover the couscous. Bring to the boil then turn off the heat and cover the pan. Leave for about half an hour and that's it. Sorry about the fat, but it adds flavour. Pat.

Do we have a language problem here. I call the full dish a cous cous and the grains, semoule. This the semoule I use when making taboule.

I steam the grains. I cover them in water with a little salt and pepper and let the water absorb, stirring occassionally, I make sure that there are no lumps before I put them in a steamer unit usually on top of the sauce  which is simmering. I give them a turn from time to time and they steam for an hour or so. They are always light and fluffy.

I never cook the semoule, just add boiling water and butter and leave to stand covered in the fridge. Fluff up every so often and there it is ready to add to the meat section or just add veggies/fruit etc with vinaigrette. The very first time I tried the stuff,I boiled it for 20mins!! I could have used it for sticking wallpaper up it looked like that Polycell stuff.

I've tried a number of different ways and was hoping to be able to avoid TU's method which is a bit of a pain if you just want to add vinaigrette rather than do the whole vegetable/meat meal - although I'm sure it would be the best way for that.  I usually do it Val 2's way - but it only seems to come out right one time in two or three - how much water do you add Val?  I usually just cover it and add a lump of butter or a glug of oil.

Su

www.inchocks.co.uk

Sue. I usually cover it to start with(the butter melts when the really boiling water is added) and then check every ten mins or so and add a little more if it is too dry. If you do put too much water in,you can always add a little more semoule. If you read the back of the cartons,they usually recommend this method as well as the traditional steaming method on top of the meat part inthe seperate pan.Another nice way is use a stock cube which has dissoved first and then pour over and let stand. We have been trying those Tipiak flavoured grains and they are foul,the lemon one is the only decent one apart from natural. Ebly is another nice alternative and easy to prepare as well and flavour.