Lamb shanks?

Yvonne

They are called souris d'agneau and here's a recipe I found on google.fr

http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/cuisine/recette/304779/1365792553/souris_d_agneau_aux_haricots_blancs.shtml 

I always look out for them but have not seen any for a while. I wonder if they (like many things in France) are a seasonal thing i.e. perhaps they use them for something else in the summer. If anyone knows please enlighten me!

Graham

Thanks for your help and thanks to Graham for the recipe - thats exactly the kind of dish I was thinking of. The website looks pretty good too, a kind of French Deliaonline!

Any advise on other cuts of meat / alternatives to UK vuts would be very gratefully  received.

Thanks,

Abi.

• 1 month later...
I buy (have bought some today) 'jarret' from the supermarket - dictionary translates it as back of the knee/shin. Lots of meat on it with a bone down the middle, allow 2 to three pieces per portion. €8,90 a kilo - the cheapest lamb cut. I use it in stews, my favourite being one with Morrocan spices and orange peel/juice in the stock served with rice or cous-cous.

You can buy lamb shanks at any butcher, but you have to order them.  The best place to buy them is a large butcher, like one within an abbatoir.  

The other place that is cheaper to buy them is Leader Price, but again not always available.  They are definately not as cheap as in the UK!