Lebanaises Specialites

opas

We have just returned from  our Tousaint dinner out, decided to visit the Lebanese Resto that opened about a year ago.

If there is anyone out there in the 66 area , this place is well worth a visit in my opinion.

The place is lovely and clean , the waiting staff very helpfull with the menu and explain your dishes when they arrive at table. The childrens menu was a wlcome change from the usual steak hache /poison panne /chicken poertion, and good sized portions too........(that said I knew my 2 would eat what was on offer., though I wouldn`t dream of taking my friends finiky son)

The house wine was also good, did mean to ask the origin , but forgot. Pot d`eau without having to ask(always good in my book) and the flat breads were replenished as necesary without charge.

The girls even came back from a visit to the ladies and explained that there were disposable seat covers on the loos.....think I only ever came across these once on a ferry, the dispenser thing was always emply thereafter!

It is on the RN9 at Villemolaque, between Le Boulou and Perps.

Oh and they have a danse orientale evening every saturday starting at 9,30 pm, thinking of applying for a job

and incase you are wondering why we are celebrating tousaint...its my Birthday!

Lebanise and North African restos seem to be very much up the up at the moment, and the food, generally, is very good. Even in our backward a***d corned of the world we have a couple.

I remember a winemaker from the Bekar Valley called Gaston Hochar who made / makes fantastic Lebanise reds (and somewhat less than fantastic whites), and kept going all the way through the various wars there. He missed only a single vintage when Israeli warplanes (chartered by the winemakers of the Golan Heights, obviously) mistook his trucks loaded with grapes for a military convoy and bombed them. I've seen this wine on sale in the UK and on a few restaurant wine lists in odd parts of the globe (Oslo, Mombassa, Singapore) but never in France.

Come to think of it, the only foreign wines our Le Clerc sells are Paul Mason's California Carafe, a few bottles of Algerian drain cleaner and something Italian in a basket. Is this chauvanism nationwide (I rather suspect that it is!) or are there supermarkets out there selling a full range of exciting and fruity New World reds and unspeakably awful oaked Chardonnays?

Lebanise and North African restos seem to be very much up the up at the moment,

Must be another regional thing - you trip over North African ones in Montpellier.  I suppose it depends on the size of the local Arab population, loads round here.  There are some areas of Montpellier it's like you've crossed an imaginary line whoosh, straight out of France.  If I decided to become Muslim, there would be nothing simpler than finding a hejab and a djellaba and whatever else I'd need.  Damn sight easier than finding a good curry! 

The food's fine, but mostly just a choice of couscous or tagine, and they taste pretty much the same everywhere.   A couscous will usually start about 8 or 9 euros.  Most popular wine is Boulaouane.

There's a Lebanese stall at Sommières market, but I expect he appeals mostly to the drippy hippy lot, like the veggie-type Indian restaurant behind him, and the wholefood shop.  If you find joy in salt-free spinach triangles, he's the man for you! 

Wine. Is this chauvanism nationwide (I rather suspect that it is!)

For the most part, you suspect correctly!   Each region of France gets an enormous display, then Foreign Muck is squeezed onto a narrow piece of spare shelf somewhere, or (last time I was in LeClerc) on a spare shelf right down at ground level!   

Bon appétit, tlm!