Feeding our French neighbours

Mustang sally

Hi

We are thinking of inviting our lovely french neighbours over for the eve. Can anyone tell me protocol on food etc . Is it best to keep it informal eg wine / pinot & nibbles  or would a proper meal be appreciated?

We have only been here 3 months & these neighbours have been wonderful giving us straw for our animals , eggs & veg they will not accept any payment so we would like to repay them buy inviting them over so any help would be great.

Thanks

The first time our neighbours came to eat I cooked traditional English roast beef etc and apple pie (but with cream rather than custard). Also did a lighter starter and had the cheese course French style between the roast and the apple pie. They loved it as they thought we couldn't cook at all, being English.

Yes offer them aperitif - our neighbours like whiskey, kir or ricard with ice plus nibbles but be prepared for this last a good half hour. Offer nice wine with the meal and a little cognac or old armagnac after.

Good luck - our neighbours are fantastic and they have eaten here so often now that we all have a great evening and it's not too formal but she always wears lippy!!

If we are asking them for the evening a meal would be much better.   If it's just drinks make sure you make this clear in your invitation.  What we used to do is ask people for drinks if we didin't know them very well, and a meal if we did, but the former group often ended up hanging around and I had to cook anyway, so now I ask everyone for a meal.

Hi there,

I agree with everything everyone else has said, if you are inviting them just for drinks then make sure you say the invitation is for aperitifes and if you are going to cook then say pour diner, that way they won't gte confused!

I find our neighbours so relaxed and as interested by the cultural differences as we are so don't worry too much about what to do, they will appreciate it anyway.  Just offer plenty!!!  And if you're not sure about wine then ask their opnion, they'd love to show you what they know!

Bon appetite!

Emma

I think first time round I would be inclined to invite them just for an aperitif, Pineau or a glass of wine and a few nibbles would be acceptable. Later on you when you know them better you could invite them for a meal.

:Enjoy! I am sure you will,

Gill

P.S It has previously been mentioned on here that different areas of France are accustomed to different drinks such as a Pastis for aperos.