Paraffine

Hoddy

I'm not absolutely sure that this belongs in the Food And Wine section, but here goes.

I've seen some blocks of white waxy stuff in the supermarket next to the jam sealers and labels labelled paraffine. My dictionary says it's paraffin. Is it ? What is it used for ?

Hoddy

It's paraffin wax and SOME people use it for sealing preserves and conserves - even jam, bizarrely.  Also used for making some cheese rinds.  Never been tempted to use it for sealing jam myself, and never been given a jam with it either.  I have home-made jams 2 years old that are fine without it (yes, I tend to make too much).  I have also heard of it being used to seal bottles, but it seems a bit soft for that purpose.

Jude

I use 'paraffine blocks' to seal jam pots. I normally place a circle of waxed paper on top of the jam, warm up the paraffine block in an old saucepan, and gently poor it on top of the waxed paper. It makes a perfect air tight seal. It is also easy to remove once you want to use the jam.

Kiera

Thanks, Kiera.  So it's not such a bizarre practice after all, then!  That said, if the jam jars are properly sterilised, the lids fit properly and the jars are not underfilled, it is not essential.  But sounds like a good belt and braces appoach.

[:)]

Jude

Jude,

Admittedly when I first saw my neighbour sealing her jam in this way I was rather astonished! But, apparently, it was the way her grandmother/mother etc did things! Maybe it’s a Nord thing?? It is also a good get out when you find you have run out of lids for the remaining jars, the wax seal and a bit of foil is fine! I was rather put off as I thought paraffin wax would taint the jam, but it is completely inert.

Kiera

It's not just a Nord thing - it used to be used in the UK in 'the good old days' too - not that I remember, I hasten to add! [:)]

I made the mistake of just putting some waxed disks and the cellophane tops on some jam I made last autumn (marrow & ginger). I went to fetch one the other day from a cupboard and the mice have completely cleaned out the jars, the little b******rs[:@] They were so clean I thought I had picked up an empty one [blink] Won't make that mistake again!

I tried some out once when making jam in France.  Amazing how you pour the colourless melted wax on top of your lovely jam and it somehow finds its way back to the surface and sets into a smooth white block.

BUT I can see why the traditional French jamjars are shaped the way they are (sloping outwards towards the top, like Bonne Maman pots).  If you use jars that get a bit narrower towards the top, then the wretched paraffin wax gets stuck beneath the "shoulder" when you want to open up the jar and start eating that delicious conserve within!!  [:@]

Angela

Angela,

I remember the first time I used the wax - the kids were picking out 'bits' from their jam for ages! I learnt after that occasion and only used french jam jars from then on!

The wax really is good if you make mincemeat at christmas, keeps it very moist.

Kiera

>>>...Admittedly when I first saw my neighbour sealing her jam in this way I was rather astonished! But, apparently, it was the way her grandmother/mother etc did things! Maybe it’s a Nord thing?? ...<<<

Not a Nord thing, my Mother does it and she lives in Deux-Sèvres.

If you don't want to use the wax 'parafine' there's another way of sealing your jam/chutney jars:

Make sure that jars and lids are super-über clean and sterilised. When the jam/chutney is ready, fill in jars and immediately whilst still hot and steaming, screw on the lid and turn upside down. With the heat a vacuum will create and it will be sealed and no mice or other uninvited creatures will get in!...

The sterilising and vacuum method is the way Jude does it as well.  She just puts the jars in the dishwasher to sterilise them - easier and safer than using the oven and does the job just as well.  She does it just before bottling.  Much less fiddly than the wax seal method by the sound of it (mind, it's not my job so I'll shut up now).

Phil