hot chilli any where?

Pads

[:'(]All the times we have travelled to france and gone food shopping we have never been able to find HOT chillis like scotch bonnet. We have asked and have been pointed to things that look like they are going to be hot but when we cook them they never are.Is it possible to buy them out there?

To be on the safe side im making a chilli puree from my own grown ones to take with me but they wont last for ever.

Has anyone every seen scotch bonnets out there (around carrassonne area)

Thats a good idea saddie , might try that next time im out there. I grow my own here, so i might take some seeds along next time and leave them with some allotment people i met in capbrespine, then pop back again on my next trip to see how they are doing!!

Twinkle is your guitarist an expert on growing or eating them, if he grows them i would be interested in which varities he grows? 

Until last week I would have agreed with you - that you cant get Hot Chillis / Scotch Bonnets in France.

TOH has Chilli with everything. The hotter the better.

Knowing that you cant get them in France I kindly picked up some Birds Eye chillis in Lafayette Gourmet in Paris before taking the train home (SW- 47).  Next day we went into the Intermarche (unusual for us as Leclerc is nearer/bigger).  Guess what ?

Great big basket full of Scotch Bonnets straight from Martinique.  Hotter than Hell .  Bought half a ton for less that a Euro.

They are out there somewhere.

Can't find chillis at all in my area, but i did bring some seeds from uk - planted just one (how optimistic am I!) and its growing very well - currently have beginnings of chillis,but whether they will actually grow and ripen yet, I can't say.    If my experience is anything to go by (and this is first time i have tried) they are not hard to grow, so could be worth sticking a couple of seeds in a pot next year if you are still having to trek around looking for them.

Thanks for the last 2 replies good to see they are slowley moving into france.............I do grow my own here and they are very easy to grow (with your ton of scotch bonnets you should save some of the seeds for next spring.. But Im not out in france long enough to see them through yet, but as soon as I am I may start selling them at carcassonne market..................[:)]

The ton have been devoured already ! He made a Hot Chilli sauce to take to a friends BBQ party (I made a label with a skull and crossbones and HOT in huge letters - cos I remember what happened the last time he took some stuff to a BBQ.....)

We have the great Chilli menagerie here too.  Chillis of every size and descrition and much loved and talked to. One of them is currently on a verbal warning as it is the only one that hasn't produced a flower yet. I am beginning to feel a bit sorry for it as he does give them such a hard time if they don't "perform" ! Quite bonkers really[:)]

We had the same problem.  However grew chillies in the UK and since we moved to France use the large greenhouses that we have here in (50) and grow over 50 varieties!  They have flowered we now have fruit and would be more than happy to put some in a freezer bag and post at the appointed time to you in France.

For those who are interested Simpsons Seeds and Plants of Wiltshire are recognised experts in matters Chilli and that is where my plug plants and seeds come from.  There is one called Nepali Orange and Ring of Fire and on the plants I have over 300 chillies.

rdgs

I agree - they are very easy to grow, can even be done in (theoretically!!!) cooler regions like Normandy under glass.  No harder to grow than sweet peppers.  Main thing is to keep them well watered to avoid sunken brown patches in the skins, looks like a rot.  I think I read somewhere it is due to calcium deficiency due in turn to irregular watering.  I've got 6 plants in the greenhouse which have been cropping for 4 weeks now - 3 sweet and 3 chili - and they are absolutely prolific.  It is far too many, same prob with the courgettes and toms.  I always seem to plant too much.

Please see my earlier reply and here something that I am not really proud of.  In the UK I grew well over 100 varieties from across the globe including some which are allegedly hotter than Scotch Bonnetts.  I pickled them and there are great recipes for that so if anyone............

However prior to a international rugby game we all assembled at the local pub and brought some food to eat during the game.  All went well until courage was enhanced by beer and my best mate said he could eat anything chilli wise.  He did but was not too well afterwards.  It is said that milk is the best antidote to chillies.

Crikey - its seems my husband is not the only one who is bonkers about Chillis !

I think its anything  fatty thats good against Chillis - at least to calm the heat - milk is certainly good. I am alwsys worried someone will eat something far too hot by accident - which is why I label the Hot sauce so even an idiot should know.

Pickling recipes would be good.  I know we are going to get a glut of them.

Do you know how long they will keep ? Fresh I mean, on the plant.  Will they just shrivel up ?

I ask because we have lots of habeneros in England and they will be cropping while we are away in France (3 weeks). neighbours are perfectly happy to take all the other fruit and veg thats ready so it doesnt waste - but I dont think they will care for the Chillis.

Will see if the latest French Chilli Experiment has worked soon.

Thanks

To keep us going over the winter we freeze all of ours but for traving I wizz up a load in olive oil and a little bit of vinngar and put in a bottle to take with us , Had a few strange looks at customs but luckerly no one has felt the need to taste it yet. That would be fun[Www] 

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]

It is said that milk is the best antidote to chillies.

[/quote]

It is - it dissolves the chemical in the chili that causes the burning.  Ditto yoghurt or other milk products.  Lager and water are powerless against the mighty chili 'cos they don't dissolve it!

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK we normally treat Chillies as annuals.  They are not and will keep happily on the plant and probably throughout the winter and if well looked after.

Pickled they keep in the fridge for about a month.

the recipe came from the back of Jamie Olivers first book.  I have it somewhere