Why have a Microwave Oven...

Christine, I hate to tell you this, but I have now abandoned you and have joined forces with those who HAVE microwaves!  After using 30 minutes or so of bottled gas to reheat some leftover macaroni and cheese, it seemed to be a logical thing to do.

PG (feeling guilty at abandoning Christine)

I have just changed my microwave and this one has a grill. At one stage I had a combination microwave, but hardly used its all singing dancing options.

Next was a real cheapie, but that had a dial which wasn't very accurate. This one is mid range (but under a £100) it has options for Pizza etc.

Fuel prices have gone up here and I am trying to discourage the family from always using the oven.

[quote user="Mandrau"]The one thing noone has mentioned yet is microwaves do a great jacket potato.
[/quote]

Heaven forbid! They do a fast jacket potato but hardly a good one. Just about tolerable if you put them in a hot oven for half an hour afterwards, otherwise you might as well boil them for all the "jacket" they have.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Hmmm, so you have, have you.  Did you get one with a grill?

CA (feeling she may now have to get one, if only for the jacket potatoes).

[/quote]

I did indeed.  I got a Whirlpool JT 355 from Discounteo for 234€ (I paid 2€ extra for a white one, which was more expensive than a black one for some odd reason) which includes tax and shipping.  I liked it because it has a large capacity and the grill is 1300 watts, which strikes me as hot enough for most things.

As to the jacket potatoes, the clay potato bakers we were talking about under the "buying online" forum still does the best ones (other than cooking them in the fireplace), but they do take lots longer.  I wonder if nuking them then using the grill to crisp the skin would work?

PG