What should I have in my aperitif's cupboard ?

Beryl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a recent visit from some Welsh friends I was off-loaded what they didn't drink during their holiday as usual, and am now  the proud owner of 8 litres of sangria, a bottle of Asti, a bottle of cider and some dodgy looking starfruit liqueur.

Drinks at my place 6.30pm - don't be late[;-)]

[quote user="Cerise"]Mary - No is answer to your question, not like Dry Martini.  Can't find this in France but the answer is to refuse entry to house to any English guest not bringing bottle with them.[:)][/quote]

Thanks Cerise - I didn't want to buy it then find it disgusting like Campari or something! [+o(] Some English friends came to see us last night - with a 1 ltr bottle of Dry Martini as a present![:D]

[quote user="Mark"]I invented the 'Gin Bomb' on my last stay in France: one part cheapest Super U gin to one part limoncella.  It wasn't the most sociable of drinks, in all honesty.[+o(]     [/quote]

But presumably it has the great advantage that you get to drink it all yourself, which has enormous merit in my book.

[:-))] [:-))]

You girls!  They do say that Hen Nights are always raunchier than the Stag Nights.  I recall on  Boys Weekend Away our group (all married men) ran into a bunch of women (also married) on a Girls Weekend Away.  I'll stop now, other than to say you would never believe that such things could be proposed in Bournemouth.

Needless to say, we fancied a curry and a game of snooker instead.

Unfortunately I didn't have a hen night.  I got married in Mexico (as you do!) while I was living in France (I know, it's complicated isn't it?).  The french girls don't do stuff like that.  They have a girls night out and they dress up in really stupid outfits and have to do dares like ride a bike dressed as a baby after downing 5 pineapple juices.

Really wild!

[quote user="Cassis"]Nothing changes, really, does it?  Not people, anyway!
[/quote]

After an experience like that it certainly changed my husband.  He has never got over it.

I really hate screaming girls out on a night out.  They seriously do make me cringe and I have NEVER taken part in all that. Not funny at all.  I do all my girlie stupid screaming around mates houses and act like a perfect lady when I am out..... it is a struggle mind.

I like Suze but I read somewhere that it is considered a "woman's" drink and there will be smirks and winks all round if a man asks for one. Is this true? I have not suffered this reaction myself.

I was also reading "The Razor's Edge" by Somerset Maugham recently and he claims that the perfect dry martini requires gin, noilly-prat and - a dash of absinthe. I haven't tried it myself.

[quote user="Just Katie "]

I really hate screaming girls out on a night out.  They seriously do make me cringe and I have NEVER taken part in all that. Not funny at all.  I do all my girlie stupid screaming around mates houses and act like a perfect lady when I am out..... it is a struggle mind.

[/quote]

I think you may have conveniently forgotten my 40th in Barcelona sweetie x

[quote user="crépuscule"]

I like Suze but I read somewhere that it is considered a "woman's" drink and there will be smirks and winks all round if a man asks for one. Is this true? I have not suffered this reaction myself.

I

[/quote]

Not around here, I see lots of men drinking it.

Crepsecule,  ABSINTHE.  Phew, I will never do that again.  Doesnt it just make you say ANYTHING that comes into your head.  I could get murdered after a couple of those.

Cassis, my town is like Viz too.  Don't these half naked young girls look in the mirror before they venture out showing all their wobbly corn beef skin?