I'm not a pheasant plucker...

Cat

I've got a little job to do. I've been putting it off all day, but now I can dilly-dally no longer.

On Sunday we were up in northern France, visiting my other-half's parents on their farm.  The local hunt had just finished, and we were given two partridges and a pigeon.

I'm the type of person who always buys her chickens ready plucked, with all their innards packed in a nice little plastic bag, but in just a few minutes I shall be donning my biggest apron, tying back my hair, and plucking and gutting my first bird[+o(]

Thanks goodness I've Mrs Beeton to fall back on, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue.

Then I have to truss and cook the beasts... now, where did I last see the string?

[quote user="M"]

I wouldn't bother pluckimg the pigeon. Just skin around and remove the breast meat. There isn't much else worth eating on one.

M

[/quote]

Now you tell me [:(]

It did seem like a lot of work for very little meat, although the pigeon was easier than the partridges.  I'm going to cook the partridges in the Normandy fashion (with apples, calvados, cream and poitrine fumé). The pigeon I'm not sure about yet. Anyone got any good recipes?

In a casserole in red wine is nice.  Partridges Normandy style is one of my favourites, alternatively wrapped in bacon and stuffed with chopped mushrooms, ham and crushed juniper berries is usual my preferred Christmas lunch.  And at the moment there are loads of lovely mushrooms about.

If you ever have to pluck again, it's a lot easier if you soak the bird in really hot water first, about 2-3 minutes. I think it relaxes off the pores that hold the feathers and you're less likely to tear the skin. Pat.

You can also buy a packet of 'stuff' (not sure what it is - looks rather like fine sand!) from places like agricultural merchants/Gamm Vert etc that you rub on the bird after dunking it in boiling water. It is fantastic for taking the feathers off - particularly all those tiny downy ones on ducks and suchlike.

[quote user="Cat 46"]Thanks goodness I've Mrs Beeton to fall back on, [/quote]

An extremely good person to fall back on, don't believe for one instant that is't your copy; probabily passed down a generation or two.

Pidgeons est seulement bon pour leur viande de sein a cuisiné légèrement avec un petit beurre et un petits oignons ensemble avec les champignons, ou peut être fait avec les oeufs comme une omelette. Is my preferred choice Partridge is-l'ensemble cuisiné dans le four ou sur une casserole avec les légumes saisonniers est superbe. 

Apprécier votre repas.