drying walnuts

Helen888

.............and to think no one took notice before JK!

I'm really impressed with you though..........it has never occurred to me to even think about natural hair dye let alone Google it! 

Now every one in forum land will have a new hair colour tomorrow!

Louise

[quote user="jayjay"]

Er.........I think we've gone off topic girls! Walnuts, walnuts, walnuts!!!! [Www]

[/quote]

Well what d'ya expect at this time of night!

Oh  ok back to topic............i have lots of walnuts and require slaves to help me shell them so i can take them to make oil this year. (90kg need shelling for 15 litres of oil........... ooohhhh what a fun winter i'm expecting!!) I'm sure it'd be easier to go and buy a bottle of walnut oil, but...............

Oh and don't forget the free hair dye!!!!!

Louise

Someone said they had dyed their hair purple - how did you do that?  I had purple streaks put (professionally)into my blonde last year and they were much admired but didn't last long at all, fading to give me a horrendous overall blue-rinse effect.  Would love to do it again myself if I could avoid the granny look.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Just Katie "]

yup. No grey hair, size 8 two lovely kids to be proud of (so far). Succesful career, financially comfortable.

Nope, low self esteem and that bugger over rides it all.

[/quote]

Are you up to letting us know why the low self esteem [:(]

[quote user="Chrissie"]  I had purple streaks put (professionally)into my blonde last year and they were much admired but didn't last long at all, fading to give me a horrendous overall blue-rinse effect. .

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

Nope you can't get round the granny look i'm afraid! I had a friend who dyed his hair green, now that looked bad when it faded! If yours wasn't a permanent dye it would be worse, you'll just have to re-do it regularly Chrissie even a permanent dye you'd have to do your roots!.

Anyway what's wrong with a blue rinse, i can't wait to be old enough to have one!

Louise

Back to the walnut topic,

How long do they actually keep for? Last years are still good to eat.

We hope to take ours for oil this year, how do you keep the shelled nuts, in the freezer?? [it will take months to shell enough....as i recall 90kg of unshelled nuts gives 30kg shelled nuts, which makes 15 litres of oil. (they keep 2L for payment) and  they like you to have around 25-30kg of shelled ones]

Any tips on how best to shell S**t loads as quickly/ easily as possible appreciated! Or am i in for a long winter in front of the fire!

Louise

If they've been dried properly & stored in dry cool conditions, they'll keep for a couple of years. Not sure about freezing, would need to be dried first though & maybe frozen in a Ziplok bag, or something airtight. Good luck with the shelling, not sure there is an easy way, unless you have a small scale nut oil producer near you with the machinery. Get the logs in girl![;-)]

BTW, just used the saffron mix on my hair [:-))] ummmm................ not sure, let you know when it's dried.

Well Louise, I kind of cupped some & held it to my hair.[8-)] Being liquid, that's all I could do. I wouldn't say I have golden highlights, but I think it's toned down the grey a little. I was worried I'd look like I'd been Tangoed![:-))]

I might check out the other recipe you found, the herbie one. I'll have to check what colour it goes 1st!

Your turn flower![;-)]