property search

An interesting thread, and I empathise with Quillan's post.

Like SW17, we didn't quite make the best choice with our first house, and are happier with the second.

But the thing to remember is that it's much easier to buy a house than to sell one in France. So if you make the wrong choice, you might be stuck with it for a long time.

In answer to Pommier's post, what I'd say is, mention that you have seen the same property for a smaller price elsewhere and that x amount is all you are prepared to pay for it.

It's then up to the agent to discuss your offer with the owner and one or either or both will have to come to some sort of agreement to match your price.

After all, if properties are as difficult to sell as they would have us believe, and your offer is a reasonable one, then they'd have to meet your terms or you walk away, of course"[:D]

Don't worry about that situation until you meet it, Laurier! 

Thanks Sweet/Pommier - I think I am a typical Brit - I hate haggling, but needs must!

I agree I should cross that one when I get to it. I'm just trying to make sure I do things in the right order.

One good thing is that my French is passable (though limited) and I know France pretty well, so I do have reasonable confidence in that regard. It's just a case of "getting stuck in" and doing more research and leg work. Having said that, though, I do find it all a bit scary - hence my reticence over the last two years.

That link you gave me, Sweet, has kept me occupied for several hours today.

I love the analogy with "finding the one" - that amused me a lot. I'm inclined to think that finding a property must be the easier of the two!! Time will tell.

Thanks again

Laurier