Black Wine lovers in Quercy?

chessfou

Are there any wine lovers here from Quercy (especially in/near Cahors)?

In particular, anyone interested in the "black wine" of Cahors (Jean-Luc Bald\es)?

Black Wine, for anyone who doesn't know, was very popular with royalty in London in the thirteenth century. Subsequently the style disappeared. It was "revived" about ten years ago by Jean-Luc Bald\es (of Clos Triguedina fame). I say "revived" because no-one can be quite certain how it used to be made. The current method is to dry the grapes overnight (Bald\es uses or used in the beginning a prune oven belonging to a cousin) before fermenting them (a bit like Amarone).

I visited him in June and bought quite a lot of his wines including the very expensive red!  I am a Rhone man and have been for over 30 years.  I did find that the top of his range red took some getting used to!  A bit powerful.

Chave in Hermitage and Chapoutier do something similar with white grapes but put them on straw for a long time before commencing the fermentation process. 

I have never tried the wine you speak of, but I do love oak aged Cahors.  They are somewhat hard to find round here.  Have considered ordering online, but haven't found a supplier yet and can't afford to pay a fortune.

Can you only find the black wine in the Cahors region or is it shipped out to other regions of France?

Lori please forgive me but I have only just noticed where you live.  The Rhone is on your doorstep?

The choice for you is enormous.  If you like Cahors have you tried Cornas............knock on the door of Clape on the RN and beg for a bottle then compare.   If he does not play ball cross the road and go to see Voge and get a bottle of his vv Cornas then compare.

We have tried Cornas wines, but it was a long time ago.  We tend to buy what is available in the shops / caves around us.  At some point, each year, we do try to make it up towards St. Cecile les Vignes (45 minutes from us), where there are many caves we like, to stock up a bit, but we rarely ever delve too far.  I believe the wines Llwyncelyn is referring to are a bit further up from us.  More than an hours drive.  There are many good wines within an hours reach of us, so we don't go far.  However, when I know of a particular wine, I try to look for it closer to home.

Thanks for the link Dago.  There are only two on that list that we could afford.  The Clos Triguedina or the Petit Clos.  The 45 euros one would be out of our budget.  I'm not one to normally order wine as there is so much good wine here locally.  However, I have saved the link in my favorites in case I do decide to make an order.

• 2 weeks later...
I opened a bottle of The New Black Wine - 1998 a few days ago.

It was (still) quite dense - interesting - noticably similar to Amarone. Decanted four hours in advance and almost a half decanter full left overnight (ca. 17 hours + 4 = 21 hours) by which time it had peaked and was declining (another time, I would try decanting maybe 6 hours before and then finish the lot). The 1998 was "only" about €20-23.

The reason I started the thread was that I bumped into the Directeur Marketing of l'Union Interprofessionelle du vin de Cahors. He is interested in marketing the Black Wine (not just from Clos Triguedina), especially in England, will be mounting something in Covent Garden later this year and wanted to make contact with some English wine-lovers in and around Cahors.

Unfortunately, tou (I'll leave that as rather a nice "typo" for "you") all seem to live even further away than I do.