What is the best French joint for Roast Beef ?

Beryl

Re the fat for roasties - duck is great and goose is not so good - or possibly the other way around.  I'll have to wait until Jude gets back from the gym to ask.

She's back - goose, not duck.  Duck's okay but not as good, goose gives a crisper coat, less heavy.

I bought a cheap gadget ( can't recall its name) like a metal sieve with a turning handle. It makes the nicest mash I have ever had , real comfort food with a clove of garlic added or grated cheese or just lashings of butter. Lovely.

It's a mouli legume Beryl. Most of my french friends use it for their pomme puree. The only time I use it these days is if I am making Pommes Dauphines as the mix needs really smooth tater. I usually use a masher I bought in Germany.

There are lots of sizes of mouli and most friends here use the big ones to crush and seive their sauce tomate.

GRAVY. 

Hi Beryl,  your meat juices should be nice and brown,  if you are cooking for many add some water to these.  Allow this to cool a little or your graby will go lumpy.  Add the flour and stir into the juices to make a thick paste then add the salted hot water that you used to boil a fresh green veg.  Have this going on a low to moderate heat.  Add about half pint at a time and keep stirring.  When you have your consistency correct, you can start on the fun bit.  Add some crushed garlic, about 1 teaspoon English mustard and 1 table spoon soy sauce. 

If you have never made this from scratch before Beryl, I suggest you have a trial run beforehand.  Goodluck.[:)]

JK, the last bit ruined the gravy for me. I do more or less the same. I learned from  my MIL who's gravy was always delicious and like her,  I add a bit of gravy salt to mine and no garlic or soy or mustard. I like 'straight' tasty gravy. I make many sauces with many ingredients, but gravy and a roast is something that I never mess around with.

Yes TU, I always used to make it without these ingredients but a friend showed me this a few years ago and, I much prefer it.  With British beef being slaughtered at such a young age, I feel that the gravy made from the juices is currently very bland.  I cannot stand OXO, Bisto etc., they just taste like chemicals to me.