Beaujolais Nouveaue '06

Afy

Ok bottle # 3 this evening... seems ok. Tastes a little crappy... but hey it is supposed to.

I just tend to gulp it down quickly... BTW no hang over in the morning... which was very wierd. Considering I finished both bottles by myself last night.

Lou!

Sorry to go off topic but I just remembered that I picked up a great randonée booklet for you while I was at Luchon a couple of weeks ago.  PM me with your address if you're interested - or pop down this weekend while Missy's visiting and I'll give it to you in person[:)]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Does it still taste like bananas or raspberries when it's a bit older?

I can drink anything but Beaujolais is where I draw the line.

[/quote]

Oh Twinks, please verify that statement with the "nouveau" and I will agree with you -s omething I just can't stomach.  However, other Beaujolais is simply wonderful, especially the Beaujolais Villages or better still Beaujolais Crus. St Amour being one of my favourite wines now that I canno longer afford the better quality Burgundies. [;-)]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Does it still taste like bananas or raspberries when it's a bit older?

I can drink anything but Beaujolais is where I draw the line.

[/quote]

Well it tasted pretty much like wine... is all i can tell you. I cant tell the difference between a Chateau Latour or a Beaujolais Nouveau... so am not reliable on that front.

Sorry Coco!

I hate the Nouveau but I have tasted some very nice crus - I stand corrected.

Afy!

There is usually a strong hint of red fruit (usually raspberries or strawberries) or banana with the Beaujolais Nouveau.  This is what I hate about it - and the headache the next day!  You mentioned that you usually gulp wine down quickly - so it's not surprising that you can't tell the difference between a Latour and a Beaujolais.  Shame really. 

Check out this link and see if doesn't make a difference next time you open a nice bottle[:)]

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/tastetastingwine.shtml

Cheers!

Thankyou for the link...

I have also gotten my self one of those kits with various fragrances to smell before drinking the wine... Unfortunately I have a cold currently so am still gulping it down... :)

But I do solemnly promise I will endeavour to teach my self about wine...

am i in the right thread for the wine buffs amongst you?  i have a HUGE confession to make and i am soooooooo embarrassed you will have to promise not to laugh or even snigger and most of all PLEASE don't come over all superior and make me feel small, ok?

we are going to be moving for definite next month and, although our house is less than an hour from bordeaux, we have yet to find a claret that we like.  it's true and it doesn't bear mentioning.  imagine, right near medoc, st emillion, etc etc and yet NOTHING to drink!  how can that be?  mind you, it doesn't help that i don't like paying more than 5 POUNDS £ for any bottle and that could explain it.  but, here in tesco or majestic, i can find new world stuff that i really really like.

do i need lessons in wine appreciation or do i just need to up the wine budget?  helpppppp...............!

I've never found a Bordeaux I like either - yes they are expensive even here.  It's a hit or miss situation really.  Who cares when there are so many other regions to explore?

You can rarely go wrong with a Fitou or a Faugères I find.  Madiran is a fabulous rich red for accompanying red meat and strong cheeses - or just on its own[:)] 

You'll find some that you like don't worry sweet17 and you won't need lessons for that but it is very interesting to have some advice from the experts.

Hope your cold gets better soon Afy!

Hi Sweet17

No there's nothing wrong with your tastebuds or your knowledge,personally I haven't found a bordeaux that I like either - apart from when we had a real wine snob for a neighbour in the UK and he wouldn't consider buying anything under £25 and I must say THEY were nice wines but out of my price league I'm afraid.  In fact, for the first time ever, we met a Frenchman two nights ago who lives just north of bordeaux and he too admitted to disliking it, which really shocked me - I thought it was an inbuilt French gene! Anyway, he agreed with us that there is too much tannin in the young bordeaux and he preferred the Rhones, burgundies and beaujolais and

The only time I tried cheap bordeaux and liked it was at a French friend's house who has built his "cave" up over many years.  He does what most of the people round here do and buys young (cheap) bordeaux to lay down, so although he had only paid a few euros (or probably francs then) for his wine, he had kept it for about ten years before we got to drink it.  I'm afraid I just don't have the patience!

I actually live in the Beaujolais region - right where the crus like Fleurie and Morgon are found. They can be great, but it really depends on the year. For Beaujolais wines stick to 2005 and avoid 2004 and 2002 in my opinion. The 2003 stuff is quite odd, as it-s very concentrated because of the heatwave. Tthe 2006 nouveau was generally drinkable, but with the Nouveau I always put it in the fridge and drink it from a tumbler - it means you stop behaving like a wine buff and just enjoy a refreshing tipple. Best enjoyed on the terrace or with boules I believe...I'm quite into the local whites at the moment - I can get St Veran or Pouilly Fuisse - both light unoaked Chardonnays- for about 3-4 euros a litre. Get a 'bag in box 'and stick it in the fridge for when the dreaded visitors arrive in spring.

Now I am envious!!  Pouilly Fuisse for 3-4 euros a litre!!!! [:-))]   We also like the white Macons - Aze and Lugny in particular.  We had some St Amour from 2003, which was incredibly powerful.  The owners had already had their labels printed up at 13.5% but they said that the wine was actually 14.5% due to the heatwave and I certainly don't disbelieve them!  Cotes de Brouilly is another of my favourites, as is Morgon, oh what the hell, all of them!!!!!

coco

10 YEARS!  the wine keeps for more like 10 DAYS in our house!

tritanspeed

i like pouilly fuisse too; nice on a warm summer's day.  i still think it's a bit "thin" though.  i know i am a peasant, but i really like the chardonnays and collombards (not so much the sauvignon blancs) from oz and chile.  you know, nice, fat body, smooth, slightly oaked and a lovely bright golden (i won't say "yellow") colour!

but, wait a minute, isn't it a bit early in the morning to be talking like this?

My neighbour buys me the Pouilly Fuisse and St Veran - he won't reveal his sources, I just tell him I want 10 litres and he goes and buys a job lot for all the locals. I guess that's why it's so cheap. If you like Aze then try Domaine Fichet - it's actually in the village of Aze - they are very nice people and knock out a non-cru unoaked Chardonnay for 3 euros a litre that I really like. It's from the non-appelation vines next to their AOC vines, so it;s practically the same as the ones you've heard of. They also do several Burgundy reds and a Cremant that goes for about 5-6 euros a bottle and is a lot of fizz for your money. If you haven't tried it then St Veran is worth a go I reckon - My best tip is to have lunch at the Auberge St Veran and taste a few of the local wines with your food and then pop up the road to buy some more if you like it. Another tip - avoid white Beaujolais wines - every one I've ever had was rubbish.

Thanks, that's worth knowing about the Azé looki-likeli - we hope to be back in Burgundy/Beaujolais before too long so shall test it out.  I think I've seen St Veran in the shops - it rings a bell but don't think I've ever tried it.  Whereabouts are you in Beaujolais? Location-wise you're the only person on this forum that I have been envious of in the last five years!  Although we are currently happy in Normandy we do eventually want to retire somewhere warmer and at the moment it's top of my list (although I appreciate it can also be cold in winter - but at least a drier cold than the incessant rain in Normandy).  You're not the only Brits in the village that the lady at Moulin a Vents told us about a couple of years ago are you? [;-)]