Olive oil ...

chocccie

love the stuff!

Would welcome recommendations of anywhere specific to go to buy up in bulk .... I'm prepared to travel a fair way to taste the wares and fill the car! 

Also, when is the best time to buy a yearly supply?  Does the good stuff tend to get snapped up as soon as it's pressed, or can I buy year round.

Mmmm .... bring on the summer .... oil, bread, chargrilled tomatoes and pepepers, sun, wine, snoozing ........ahhhhhhh

[quote user="chocccie"]

love the stuff!

Would welcome recommendations of anywhere specific to go to buy up in bulk .... I'm prepared to travel a fair way to taste the wares and fill the car! 

[/quote]

Make sure you securely tape up all the openings before you fill the car............................[:)]

The nicest olive oil I have ever tasted came from the cooperative oil mill in Maussane-les-Alpilles near Les Baux de Provence.

Around November/December they produce a 'new oil' that is very fresh and light and ideal for salads. There is also an open day sometime in December with lots of free food and folklore type entertainment.

The whole valley is an AOC oil producing area and most villages have at least one mill.

HTH,

Roger.

RogerW what is the name of the famous restaurant in the area?  I too have been to the cooperative and I absolutely agree with you.  However also bought some from an old lady who looked out for some dusty bottles for me.  She didn't have change gave me the change in the form of fresh eggs!

Roger, are you thinking of L'Oustau de la Baumaniere at the head of the valley below Les Baux ? 2 stars in the Michelin.

Last year the chef/proprietor was fined several thousand euros for serving olive oil that was not from Les Baux. His menu plainly states that all olive oil used in the restaurant was from Les Baux. Unfortunately for him one of the local producers dined  there and instantly realised this not to be the case, he suggested it was something inferior from Espagne. He duly reported this to the authorities and M. Ousteau had his wrists severely slapped.

The restaurants other recent claim to fame is that Jean Reno held his wedding reception there, the young lady in the local boulangerie is still recovering from the experience of selling a baguette to Brad Pitt, one of the wedding guests, along with Johnny Depp. Can't think why Mrs W was anxious to visit that day.

Wilko

Hi Wilko thats it but I have never eaten there and it once was three stars and that was under the old proprietor.  They used to do baby lamb just briefly cooked and I am informed that it was good.

There was a restaurant I went to once is it at Fontvielle near the old windmill eat outside in June wonderful melon with sweet white wine to start then followed by local lamb.  I say it was one of the best meals I have had in France.

kind regards

gallois lost in France