Restaurant in Pau

Hi

I'm looking for a good restaurant in Pau to go for Sunday lunch.  Does anyone know somewhere that serves good regional food with a good ambience please?  I've searched the internet and come up with one possibilty called O'Gascon but I'd love to hear from anyone that knows better.

Many thanks [:)]

Gosh - there's a huge choice, but when we visited Pau and met up with friends, we had lunch on the front terrace of one of the restaurants on the plateau which overlooks the Pyrenees.

Beautiful day, super view and a lovely lunch. They are pricey but for our purposes (we wanted a meal to remember), worth it. Not sure if they are open on Sundays though.

When I was there 3 years ago the best, by far, was Au Fin Gourmet (at the bottom of the funicular) - menu €35/74bc and, looking at Michelin 2007, that still seems to be the case, unless you want to go a couple of km out of Pau to Jurancon and the two star Chess Ruffet - menu €54/100bc.

The food at the Fin Gourmet was by far the best I have ever had in Pau (been there a couple of other times) and the setting - lots of glass walls in a garden setting at the bottom of the funicular is lovely.

If you want somewhere cheaper, although a fair walk from the centre, the Planche de Boeuf was very, very good for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

It might be too late for your meal, but a few recommendations:

La Brochetterie, Rue Henri 1V, near the chateau; duck breast & other meats grilled over the fire; lots of locals. Weekday lunch menu from E11.50 to E19.50. A la carte has wild boar etc.

Le Majestic, Place Royale. Menus from E18 for lunch to E34. Foie Gras with pears, pigeon with ceps.

Au Fin Gourmet, Av Gaston Lacoste, nr station. Quality cooking, popular with locals; menus from E19 weekday lunchtimes, then from E27 to E56.

R. La Table d'Hote, Rue Hedas, in the old part.a good welcome, lovely stained-glass windows and beams. weekday menu E20, then E26. ALC from c. E30; foie gras with onion jam, Gascon black pork with fruit, Duck pie.

Jo

Hi Jo

No it's not too late - we will be in Pau on Sunday so your recommendations have come in the nick of time.  They all sound good so now which one to choose.........?   I shall consult the others and then see if we can get a table at one of them.

Many thanks,

Kim [:D]