Girolle - how on earth does one clean them?

chocccie

bought some today to go in a quiche ... but I can't get the dirt off.  I've tried teasing it off with kichen  paper.  I would never normally wash mushies, but is this the only way to get the dirt off.

I could try a pastry brush.... but they aren't in the best of nick (ie, coated in oil).

Help!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks - will look out for them, as I know many secret mushroom patches - and as far as I recall from last year, its almost that time of the year again when strange (no offence intended anyone) French people jump out of bushes and look nonchalant as you go past, trying to decoy you away from their favourite mushrooming places ...

I always clean them with the back of a knife, gently over the surface. As I live in the Sologne (central France 18) there are many good places for Girolles, especially after a good night of rainfall. Pickers are very secretive about their location(s). The prices, even in the market, are pretty high but what a treat when you cook them with some garlic and butter and myabe a bit of thyme. Superb!