A surprise on the plate !

Frederick

To Sweet Sixteen. In my carpet fitting days,many years back, I used to frequent the Crossroads and Bill & Wynns Cafe in Wallisdown Road. The carpet fitters used to have a habit of frequenting one Cafe for months then changing if we heard of a better breakfast. Those were the days of workmen having a major fry-up in the morning and I used to survive the rest of the day on 4 Mars bars.  I think those days are gone now with healthy eating being the fashion. One cafe I used to use on the Edgware Rd London used to open 5.30am and when you went in they had a pile of sausages,ready cooked, stacked up on the end of the counter leaning against the wall!! Most mornings you'd have to sit outside under the sunblind,come rain, shine or frost.

I used to meet our site workers in a cafe in Seymour Place where all the Irish road workers used to go,One morning I and Van driver ordered our usual pile of fry_up and our Helper asked very quietly for a slice of Ginger cake!!! The very loadly spoken Italian lady who ran the place shouted out,very loudly," I suppose you want f------g custard on it as well"

Regards.

Gastines

Don't things like that just come back to haunt you or screw you up completely so the tears roll down your face!

I remember on one of my first dates with husband number one, we went to a very upmarket restaurant and we ordered the roast duck (only served with the inevitable orange sauce in those days).  When it arrived, it was an enormous half mallard or Aylesbury or whatever it was; a goose for all I knew.  As I looked at it in utter dismay, I glanced at my date and whispered,"How on earth do I eat this?"  The waiter, overhearing ,said confidentially, "Well, we don't object to fingers, madam!"

Madam, indeed, I was all of about 21 years old then!

Many years ago when hubby and I first met in Doha (think late 70/early 80 aaargh) we used to go to a place called Al Shats underneath a motorway bridge (say no more, there were no others!) that did a cracking curry and pud.  Brilliant curry and a pud that I thought was a creme caramel sort of thing with currants - no they were very healthy flies, some still alive - yuk.  Not to mention the cockraoaches for entertainment on the window ledges.

Obviously Doha is a bit better now. I stayed in the giant pyramid hotel,not sure of the name, the food was amazing. Something like 300staff and only 8 guests when I was there. Each day there would be ice sculptures on the serving tables and about 6 chefs serving. It was so hot they used to empty buckets of ice cubes into the swimming pool. The temperature on site was 42% and no air conditioning installed.