GOOSE FOR CHRISTMAS

LBV CharenteNW

I have just ordered our goose - 3-4 kgs for 4 people. It is a big boned bird so you won't have a lot left, unlike turkey. James Martin on 'Saturday Kitchen' last week said you should stand it on a trivet, p-r-i-c-k the skin all over the breast and pour boiling water over it. this releases some of the fat and helps to crisp the skin, which I'll try this year. In the past I have normally p-r-i-c-k-e-d the skin, but make sure you don't touch the flesh, lightly oil and rub salt over it then cook it on a trivet. You might find you have to pour off the fat half way through, but keep it for roastie spuds. Don't put stuffing in the bird, as it will be swimming in fat if you do. It's nice served with casseroled red cabbage and apples (Delia's recipe), plus all the other bits.

Agree with everything that Rob has said except to say that you can stuff the neck end of the bird with chestnut stuffing:

One onion coarsley chopped, 150gm sausage meat - minced pork or equivalent, 100gm peeled chestnuts, 2 slices bread (thicvk slices if French baton, teaspoon of herbs de Provence.  Put it all into a blender and give a quick wizz.  Stuff the neck end and hold the skin flap over the stuffing with a skewer.

Hi wifey

i have our goose ordered from the farm in ur village - free range,organic etc;  I will see farmer's wife tomorrow and can ask if she will have a spare one, if you like;  we are on border of 16/86 near Civray - if that will be any good for you

NO!!! it will come oven-ready - although I did pluck and clean the partridge that our cat caught and brought home for us last week; that has now found a new home in our freezer!

I have known our Christmas dinner since it was an egg (literally) - i was shown the new-laid eggs in the Spring and asked if i wanted a goose for Christmas.  Every time I go to the farm, I get shown the geese.  They are wandering around the farmyard and field, their diet until recently has included all the windfall figs, pears and apples etc - better to eat meat that is reared like this and killed quickly in its familiar environment, although I'm a hypocrite because I wouldn't kill it myself.

I wouldn't say it is hypocritical not to do the actual killing. I don't really fancy that myself, always prefer getting someone else with more experience to do it. If you said you are happy to eat the goose, but can't bear the thought of it being killed, then that's a bit different.

Your bird should taste lovely with all those fruits it has eaten - bit like feeding a lamb with mint![:)]