Re: Pickling vinegar

Pierre ZFP

Yes, I had been wondering about this too as I was about to make some apple chutney.  I sent hubbie out for some vinegar but he came back with something a bit odd.  It would appear you can't get malt vinegar here.  Thanks though for tip about other vinegars to use.

I am so sorry to hear this Puzzled.  There is nothing more frustrating to put all that time and effort into something that doesn't work.  Also, I hate waste, so I would have been doubly frustrated.  You can't even give this to the dog (as I would if something didn't work!).  When I get a spare minute, I will have a look through my cookery books and see if I can find something a bit more promising for you.  I think somewhere I have a book just on chutneys and preserves.

Delia's recipe for Spiced Damson Chutney makes something that is very close to Branston Pickle - with the same dark brown colour.  Its a bit of a phaff stoning all the damsons but the end result is worth it.  (You can also make it with plums but I have only ever made it with damsons)

3lb plums (small dark ones) or damsons

1lb cooking apples

3 largish onions

3 cloves garlic

2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger

1lb seedless raisins

1lb of soft dark brown sugar

1lb demerara sugar

2 pints of malt vinegar

2 tablespoons salt

2 small cinnamon sticks

1 oz whole allspice berries

1 dessert spoon of whole cloves

(makes 6lb)

1. Wash dry fruit and split down line to remove stones and place in large preserving pan

2. Core and mince apples (leaving skin on) and add to pan

3. Mince onions and add to pan

4. Add crushed garlic, ginger, raisins, sugars and the vinegar

5. Sprinkle in salt and stir everything throroughly

6. Tie cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a piece of muslin and add to pan

7. Bring pan to boil and then lower heat leaving chutney to simmer for 2-3 hours stirring occassionally so it doesn't stick

8. When almost all the vinigar has disappeared and the chutney has thickened remove from the heat (be careful not to leave it too ong as chutney will thicken further as it cools)

9. Pot warm chutney in sterilised jars.

10. Label when cold and store in a cool airy cupboard

NB Chutney is best left to mellow for at least three months before eating.